Evaluating MMO Engine

Options
petergpls
petergpls ✭✭
edited April 2013 in Any Topic & Chat
Hi,

I am currently comparing multiple engines (ElectroTank, SFS2X and Photon)

All of my research points me to Photon BUT I have noticed that the real time demos (e.g. MMO Demo) and others on how to do the hard stuff are for Unity3D developers.

I don't use Unity3D and do use Flash Builder / AIR and as such can not understand why only Unity3D users get the good examples. :(:(

I am afraid I will need to move back to another engine and just wanted to let you know as I am sure i am not the only FB / AIR developer out there? All of us learn by examples!!!!

All the Best

Comments

• dreamora
    Options
    The MMO client does not work with Flash. Its .NET only.

Flash is supported in Lite, LoadBalancing and the Cloud.

Also photon is no engine. Its a server technology. For an MMO thats 3-4% of your codebase at best, the other 96%+ of the code is what you will have to develop anyway, independent which technology you use (this also holds true for the two others mentioned, just that neither of them has a interest area based backend thats geared towards openworld mmo).

Are you sure that you need the MMO one at all? Open world mmos are rather rare in flash and air.
    For room based MMOs (which is the vast majority of all MMOs played nowadays including DOTA, League of Legends, World of Tanks and every single FB game), you would normally use Photon Cloud or Photon Load Balancing depending on your needs on the server side.
  • petergpls
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Not sure you know of Sherwood Dungeon (to pick one of the latest MMORPG) but this is I had thought an openworld MMO geared towards interest area concepts and is Flash (originally shockwave). Adobe has moved in leaps and bounds and additionally one of the other engines uses AS3 and FB / AIR for MMO with lots of demos however I had thought Photon was a better choice but due to the lack of support for Flash Builder based AIR apps I am somewhat not sure now.

So my question still is why are we supporting Unity3D mainly with detailed code examples of MMO when their is a great % of the market using Adobe - newbies to Photon (like me) would struggle with the lack of detailed MMO examples unless I am wrong and if so where can I look as I have looked everywhere and again, if I am a Unity3D developer its all there for me but I have no intention to move from Stage3D / Flash and Adobe AIR.....

Thanks and Regards
  • dreamora
    Options
    I think there is a thing that needs to be clarified just to prevent confusion :)

There is nothing preventing you from implementing a Flash client for the opensource MMO application that exists for Photon.
    But its a thing that users will have to tackle likely as the mmo application is not an officially supported one, its an open source project that requires users to take active part in it and thats a thing that will first require that there are even flash developers interested in it.
    I think you are the first one who voiced interested in it regards flash here on the boards, so I don't think anyone, be it another community member or even ExitGames, considered putting any development resources into it.

This will be no small thing though cause IA requires that the server can understand the data sent and that would require that flash wouldn't serialize the data in a way thats not usable in other languages at least last I tried it. So you might probably have a challenge here that requires to be solved.

SFS does solve it by simply not having any interest area capabilities. Unsure about ES as it has different features but also the by far highest price.

Flash should, from what I recall at least, be supported in all official, supported Photon applications, be it Lite, LiteLobby, LoadBalancing or its hosted version Photon Cloud.
  • Tobias
    Options
    petergpls:
    Our "MMO Application" is not actually a full blown, ready to use implementation for seamless world type of games "with everything". It's more a basis implementation and framework to base your own work on. That's part of why we don't have more samples for that.
    Second: Unity is just a great fit for most of our developers. We all know C# well and use it on the server, too. When we implement features in the server, a demo in Unity or C# is used to test and fine tune the API before porting it.
    Third: If we knew more AS3 coders are interested in Photon, it will rise in the importance and support for sure ;)