How is Photon going to help me in a non MMO game ?

Minassian
edited January 2011 in DotNet
Hi guys, I'm developing an top down shooter in Unity and I'm coding the network logic with Unity's built in system.
For what I've read Photon (and middleware networking solutions in general) are orientated towards MMO games.
My game is going to have a default dedicated / listen server architecture, with a Master Server for registerening deds.

Aside from that MS (which for what I believe Unity's is not great), how else is implementing my game with Photon going to help me in the long run ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Photon, SFS and alike are targeted at centralized worlds especially. not needfully MMO in the traditional sense but "many players on 1 machine", where you host 1-x servers which handle thousands to ten thousands of players at the same time (facebook games are a good example for how this would work and look at the end)

If your concept includes that users host machines etc, then Photon, smartfox and most to all other technologies are not even an option.
  • Minassian,
    Dreamora is more or less correct. We usually assume you want to run a small number of machines for your customers. We never considered dedicated servers that you distribute, even though it would be possible. Photon is in the end a simple executable and even runs on Windows XP.

Photon is not really a MMO solution. It does not do it out of the box. We have a framework to develop RPC methods, solutions for scaling (running more or less machines, depending on demand), achievements, interest management for MMO scale worlds and a lot more.

It's a proven technology and not too expensive and a lot of know how and support is given for free to customers. However, we don't have accounts, friends and such out of the box. It's something we did several times but didn't transform it into a product. Yet. ;)
  • Thanks for replying, it clarifies a lot of things.