Having trouble getting started with NetSync tutorial.

Claws
edited December 2010 in DotNet
Hi there,

I'm trying to get started using Unity3 and Photon for some basic networking (just some fun stuff for learning - I just want to get some position tracking working and a chat etc.)
I thought it was most appropriate to start with the NetSync tutorial. The reazdme.txt file states that i must do some unzipping and put some DLLs in a lib folder. I did this (although maybe my DLLs are the wrong versions? Shouldn't the tutorial supply the DLLs it needs to run?). After doing this I tried to build the solution in Microsoft Visual Studio, however i get 11 errors.

Error 1 'Photon.NetSyncObject.Server.PhotonApplication.CreatePeer(Photon.SocketServer.PhotonPeer)': no suitable method found to override D:\Game creation\Unity\Photon\Photon Server SDK\src-server\Netsync\Server\PhotonApplication.cs 30 34 Photon.NetSyncObject.Server

Error 2 'PhotonManager' does not implement interface member 'ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonPeerListener.PeerStatusCallback(ExitGames.Client.Photon.StatusCode)' D:\Game creation\Unity\Photon\Photon Server SDK\src-server\Netsync\Client\Assets\Scripts\Photon\PhotonManager.cs 114 14 Photon.NetSyncObject.Client

etc.
I'm sure this is a nooby error, and it looks like the references might not be working correctly? But I've checked they are pointing to the DLLs... I'm sure this is a silly mistake but I thought i'd better ask than get frustrated and give up.

EDIT - I think its possible I'm using the wrong SDK for the tutorial? Should I be running old versions of anything? I'd rather be using the most up to date stuff ofc.

Thanks for your time,
Claws

Comments

• The NetSync Demo is probably not the best one to start with. It's a project that's not developed by Exit Games but by C. Strandbygaard, who uses Photon in the game Guppy Life. It's not maintained actively and got outdated and you get the issues you have with newer libs.

The reason why we didn't include all dlls is, that we didn't want to distribute Unity's dlls at that time.

I think the best sample for you would be the Realtime Demo, which is already sending usernames and positon data and covers the basic workflow with Photon. From there it should be easy to send chat messages and anything else you need. If you don't need server side position tracking or cheat prevention or a chat history, you won't even have to touch the server side once. The Lite Application allows you to define, send and use events on the client side. Next step would be the Lite Lobby Application, which adds room listing out of the box.
  • As many people are always looking for a player chat, this would be something I would think could be a good add in for the demo. I am still to knew to do that of course :) but, would be nice to have it there from the start.

Claws, yes, start with the demo! It really does help you gain an understanding of how the two talk to each other.
  • I will have another look at the realtime demo - it looks great. I foresee that I'll probably have trouble understanding the purpose of certain lines of code. I got on really well with the inbuilt Unity networking code (there's a PDF tutorial that guides you from the really basic stuff right up to a working FPS game). I think I usually get discouraged when I see a lack of intermediate level tutorials (e.g, you have videos of how to setup the server, which is very easy, and also an example of an MMO, which is complex, but not too much middleway as far as I can see).

Hope I don't seem whiny. Just an observation - I will, of course, check out the realtime demo again and let you know how I get on. Photon looks perfect, I just need to get off the ground with using it.
  • Claws: Don't worry, you are far from being whiny :)

Sadly, we know there's a lack of intermediate tutorials but can't change it - yet. A lot of work is going on behind the scenes currently. Once that's done, we will do new demos.
    Let us know if you're looking for something in particular.

Meanwhile, I hope the Developer Network, Realtime Demo and MMO Demo are useful for you (after having another look).
  • Claws, you get going? I to am still beating up the demo, not making as much progress as I would like. Let me know if you run across anything that could be helpful. :)
  • Not really getting anywhere with this. You guys should consider doing a basic walkthrough video of how to create one of the tutorials. Like this video on Electroserver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OA3tPruXT4
    That helped me loads and after watching I felt like I could get cracking with Electroserver, and could technically make an non-authoritative game.

I just like knowing exactly what each line of code is doing, and when you're building up the program you know what the minimum code is to connect, then sign in to a room etc.
  • Hello Claws,

Just an FYI, I am a Unity user just like you, probably following the same course you are. Honestly, there are a couple of other networking "addons" available that seem to have much better documentation, there is no question about this. researching the top 4, I decided on Photon, it seems very versitile and the people that have it running with Unity really do like it. I am with you though, the initial learning curve with Photon is a real bear without the detail documentation and expination of the functions. Its very easy to simply move to something with possibly less features but better documented.

I am new to both Photon and Unity and knew from the start I would have some learning to do.

Let me ask you though, are you adding network functionality to an existing project you are working on? or, starting an all new project you are experimenting with Photon with? this may be the difference in what you would want to expiriment with when it comes to Photon.