Disconnection Issue Server Timeout

The whole answer can be found below.

Please note: The Photon forum is closed permanently. After many dedicated years of service we have made the decision to retire our forum and switch to read-only: we've saved the best to last! And we offer you support through these channels:

Try Our
Documentation

Please check if you can find an answer in our extensive documentation on PUN.

Join Us
on Discord

Meet and talk to our staff and the entire Photon-Community via Discord.

Read More on
Stack Overflow

Find more information on Stack Overflow (for Circle members only).

Write Us
an E-Mail

Feel free to send your question directly to our developers.

Disconnection Issue "Server Timeout"

JustinC04
2022-06-28 00:27:14

Hello,

I have been working on a game with PUN2 and it was working perfectly fine yesterday, but today it keeps disconnecting after a few minutes with no error log, so I used OnDisconnected and printed the cause to the console, which says "Server Timeout". I haven't changed anything since yesterday. I have already read the Analyzing Disconnects page but none of the solutions there seemed to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

Tobias
2022-06-28 08:16:23

We don't have enough info to help.

You could check if your region's Photon Cloud has any issues or if we tweeted about issues.

If it's neither, it makes sense to let us know more details about the issues. Where they happen, etc. Basically what's described on the "Getting Help" page.

JustinC04
2022-06-28 18:22:13

There are no issues on the Photon Cloud. I'm using PUN 2 version 2.40 on Unity 2021.3.4f1. After creating a room and joining with another client, one of the players disconnects after a few minutes with error message "ServerTimeout", at which point it destroys all the instantiated GameObjects associated with that player. The other player then disconnects a few minutes later with the same error. This happens regardless of the region I use, the hardware I use, or whether I'm playing on the same or different Wi-Fi networks. When I switched the protocol to TCP, the disconnections happened a lot later, typically after 15-20 minutes of joining the room, rather than the 3-5 minutes with UDP. But the disconnections always happen regardless of how much I send over the network and whether or not I'm actively doing stuff in the game. Nothing seems to affect it.

Tobias
2022-06-29 10:13:21

Sounds odd. It's really likely a problem with your connection of how you send / keep sending. Are you running a VPN? Did you actually try different networks (office and home or cafe)?

A first step is likely to enable the SupportLogger and up the logging levels in the PhotonServerSettings. Then run into the issue and send the logs.

You could try the "alternative ports", as described in the docs.