Fusion Dedicated Servers and Pricing

Options
skycoding
skycoding
edited June 2022 in Fusion

Hello,

The Photon Fusion landing page (https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Fusion) advertises support for dedicated server topology featuring headless Unity instances. This is exactly what my team is looking for, so I created a Fusion Photon Cloud App and began prototyping. The Fusion Unity SDK was great, but I realized that there is actually no support here for dedicated game servers (player hosting is not okay).

Photon Server looks like it may facilitate dedicated game servers but there is insufficient documentation describing the interaction between Fusion and Photon Server. The Fusion documentation is specific to Photon Cloud and the Photon Server documentation does not even mention Fusion. We're also unable to determine if both products require paid subscriptions or if a Photon Server license permits Fusion SDK usage. We're also concerned that these subscriptions will almost triple our server hosting costs, which seems egregious; the CCU pricing model seems especially punitive for free-to-play titles which will always have higher CCUs (but not necessarily higher revenue).

Our request is that Photon offer more documentation around the use case of Fusion with dedicated game servers, and a clarification on pricing.

Thank you!

Comments