Broadcast voice

Options

I am trying to get a handle on what is involved to add a voice broadcast option. If you are familiar with social VR apps (AltSpaceVR for example) a user can optionally select broadcast and their voice is heard anywhere in the world.

I assume this is done by setting the Spatial Blend on every player to 2D but there may be more to it than that. In AltSpace if a player sets broadcast everyone can here that player but the other players are not broadcasting unless they also select broadcast.

Anyone have an idea how that is being implemented? Has anyone added broadcast mode to their app?

Comments

• tleylan
    tleylan ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

Well so far my attempt isn't working :-) I am setting the other player's spatialBlend = 0 effectively setting it to 2D but speech sounds the same and there is no broadcast effect.

It strikes me that perhaps I'm supposed to set the player that wants to broadcast to zero and leave the other player's settings alone? That would certainly be easier if that is the case.

Any ideas? Surely this has been done.

• tleylan
    Options

I'm working on another angle but I grasping at straws but since changing the setting doesn't have an effect it dawned on me that "maybe" I am changing what I think is my speaker but it is not the one that Photon Voice is using.

There are a couple of properties that I have no idea how they work. On the Photon Voice Network component there is "Create Speaker If Not Found" which is set. There is a Speaker Prefab property which is set to None. I'm curious if I've failed to hook up the speaker on my avatar rig properly and as a result Photon Voice creates something that works but that I am unaware of.

I've set that now and will give it a try.