What does For Games only mean on the PUN pricing page?

The whole answer can be found below.

Please note: The Photon forum is closed permanently. After many dedicated years of service we have made the decision to retire our forum and switch to read-only: we've saved the best to last! And we offer you support through these channels:

Try Our
Documentation

Please check if you can find an answer in our extensive documentation on PUN.

Join Us
on Discord

Meet and talk to our staff and the entire Photon-Community via Discord.

Read More on
Stack Overflow

Find more information on Stack Overflow (for Circle members only).

Write Us
an E-Mail

Feel free to send your question directly to our developers.

What does "For Games only" mean on the PUN pricing page?

PJacquemont
2022-03-10 21:24:52

Good afternoon,

I am very interested in Photon PUBLIC Cloud and Photon PREMIUM Cloud.

I have a question regarding PUN : on the pricing page, it is written that PUN can only be used for games.

What does that mean exactly? Is it a technical limitation or don't you allow people to use PUN in an app if you do not consider it to be a game? If so, do you state somewhere in your terms of use what you consider to be a game or not?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

lsummers
2022-03-21 22:12:13

I'm wondering this as well, we have an education client needing a small learning experience. From what I can tell, we can't use Photon for it at all - which is odd as that license restriction wasn't there last time I checked on it.

Kaiserludi
2022-03-22 00:42:37

Hi @PJacquemont, hi @lsummers.

The pricing page does NOT state, that PUN can only be used for games. It states that the pricing options for PUN that are listed there can only be used for games.

Games in this context means mass market games that are sold to the general public i.e. on app stores.

You can absolutely use PUN for non-gaming use-cases as well, but when you do so, you need to subscribe to an Photon industries plan instead of a Photon gaming plan.

I have to admit that the pricing page could be clearer about this and will bring this topic up internally.

See https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Industries for more information about Photon Industries.