Multiplayer game with client/server

Options

I am looking for a service in fusion shared mode or the player host.

In share mode does it allow custom code because i need the server to be authority over all client. Where can i get the server plugin? I only see server plugin for Enterprise cloud. So can i still run the state authority with custom code?

In player mode the host ...is it has to a window base server? does it allow me to have the Host server run on linux? With this all players still connect via fusion cloud and cloud relay back to my host (server) . Is this how it work?

Answers

• ramonmelo
    Options

Hi @tomlet ,

In share mode does it allow custom code because i need the server to be authority over all client. Where can i get the server plugin? I only see server plugin for Enterprise cloud. So can i still run the state authority with custom code?

At the moment, the Fusion Plugin is not available to the public, so it's not possible to have Custom code running server-side. We are already working on it and it should be available soon, but we can't give any ETAs.

In player mode the host ...is it has to a window base server? does it allow me to have the Host server run on linux? With this all players still connect via fusion cloud and cloud relay back to my host (server) . Is this how it work?

Yes, Photon Fusion runs on Linux just fine, you can host it on Linux-based cloud services without any problems.

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team

• tomlet
    Options

Melo,

Is quantum enterprise the service to go for building a esport game? My next question is my team has already started the PUN v2 ... is it easy to switch from PUN v2 to Quantum? Ro do we need to start over for the Quantum? Can i join the circle member to start with the development for Quantum....or i will need to have Bare Metal or the Virtual Machine in order to start?

• DanielDantas
    edited January 2022
    Options

Hi @tomlet,

Is quantum enterprise the service to go for building a esport game?

It depends on the gameplay style and expected amount of players. The Fusion's product sheet has a handy comparison board regarding topologies and the right product for them on pages 5 and 6: https://download.photonengine.com/fusion-productsheet

My next question is my team has already started the PUN v2 ... is it easy to switch from PUN v2 to Quantum? Ro do we need to start over for the Quantum?

Quantum is a full-fledged deterministic engine and, as such, has its own ECS, Physics and Navigation systems and its own Math library, all of them cross-platform deterministic. The gameplay logic must be fully implemented inside this deterministic simulation, while the Unity side works as a View layer, reacting to and polling the simulation state and sending inputs to it. PUN and Quantum both use Photon Realtime as the underlying transform layer, but are very distinct techs. That said, we have many cases of games that were successfully ported to Quantum, even after being launched. How easy it will be and if it's doable depends mostly on the size of your current codebase and your time window.

Can i join the circle member to start with the development for Quantum....

If you are interested, please send an e-mail to developer@photonengine.com, introduce your company/game and you can ask for a trial period.

or i will need to have Bare Metal or the Virtual Machine in order to start?

No need for bare metal or VM. By default, Quantum games connect to a game-agnostic plugin running on the Photon Cloud. You have the option to deploy custom plugins if on the Enterprise plan, but this is often not necessary until you have a successful game released. In either case, self-hosting is currently not offered as an option for Quantum, i.e. the plugin always runs on the Photon Cloud.