A question about the network model.

Options

Hello.

We are making a VR MultiPlayer game using Photon Fusion.

In our game scenario, two players play one-on-one.

The two players play the match and send the results to the server.

So, we want to choose a network model in which one player becomes the host and the other player connects as a client to play the game.

Here is a problem I can guess.

If the host quits the game while the match is in progress, the game is interrupted.

Also, I'm not sure who should send the results of this interrupted game to the server.

I would like to know if there is a way in Photon to solve this problem using the host-client network model.

I would also like to know if there are other workarounds.

Thank you

Answers

• ramonmelo
    Options

Hi @ELIOT_VR ,

So, we want to choose a network model in which one player becomes the host and the other player connects as a client to play the game.

That is the usual Client-Server, but in this case, one of the clients will also be the server, which is only desired if it is fine that one of the players also has authority over the game.

If you want to have total control over this, and never let the player have authority, then you will need to spin dedicated servers to your players to connect to.

If the host quits the game while the match is in progress, the game is interrupted.

Yes, right now, Fusion (SDK Build 382) does not support Host Migration (we are working on it at the moment).

But even in this case, if your game is one-vs-one, the game would be over anyway, right?

I would like to know if there is a way in Photon to solve this problem using the host-client network model.

One way to solve this is to have a dedicated server, so you always have it to compute your game result, for example, even if one of the players leaves.

--

Ramon Melo

Photon Fusion Team