Same game. Two Steam AppIDs. Authenticate both?

Options

Hello!

Situation: I added Steam authentication to my multiplayer game two months ago, everything is working fine on that side.

This week I thought that in order for new players to try out my game I could add a temporary demo in the game’s Steam page.

It is exactly the same as the main game except some capabilities are capped when hosting a room but players could still enjoy most of the full game if they join a room created by a full game version. P.e. a streamer having bought the game and letting viewers join him using the demo.

The problem? Even if it’s the same game, Steam assigns the demo a different AppID and I can only assign a single AppID in my Steam Authentication Settings in the Photon’s Application dashboard.

Any ideas on if it is possible to authenticate both using the same Photon’s application?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Seliani,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

I think this should be possible as I don't think we do a one-to-one checks but the best way to confirm is to try it out yourself.

• Seliani
    Options

Hello JohnTube,

Thanks for answering

The only thing I could think of trying was adding an OR operator in the AppID field in the Steam Authentication settings which didnt seem to work (AppID1 || AppID2) 😅

I'm out of ideas except removing authentication for the demo.

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see now.

Didn't get that you want to keep the same Photon AppId which makes sense to be able to join the same room.

Anonymous authentication (we don't recommend) or custom one (different provider other than Steam) is an option yes.

Otherwise, please send an email to developer@photonengine.com with use case and details and we will see what options we could provide (multiple steam auth or multiple AppIds per same provider).

• Seliani
    Options

Thanks, I'll send the email.

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wanted to add that I can't promise anything though, don't want to give you false hopes.