About using PUN in self hosted Photon Server

SW95
SW95

Hello,

I would like to an ask question about PUN and Photon Sever in the Unity;

I've recently purchased PUN,Voice Chat and Photon Server.

Major reason for me to use photon server instead of cloud is traffic usage.

My question is If I use PUN and Voice Chat with Photon Server in my host, will my PUN is still going to be use cloud's traffic for functions such as like syncing character's position, sending/receiving RPCs etc.? 

I just want to be sure that I will be running PUN in Photon Server and using the Photon Server's traffic without any need of cloud.

If that is possible, then could you please inform me how I can achieve this? Right now I've code base that is using PUN and cloud, I would like to use Photon Server instead of cloud with the same code base and have no relationship with the cloud anymore.

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SW95,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

If you self-host Photon Server and configure PUN and Photon Voice to connect to your servers then of course you won't be using Photon Cloud.

However, Photon Server needs to access internet and Photon license servers just to check license but this is different from Photon Cloud and you won't be charged for Photon Cloud application subscription nor Photon Cloud traffic.

To achieve this simply download Photon Server SDK and host it on your Windows machine/server. Step by step, AWS steps (example).

Then download Photon Voice and setup PUN's PhotonServerSettings like explained here. Photon Voice will follow by default when using PUN integration.