Photon Chat or Photon Realtime for Friend List?

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem at work related to photon, I have a few basic questions about photon chat and photon realtime interaction. I'm trying to create a Friend List and Party Invite system. I'm using photon realtime for friendlist related functions and photon chat to send notifications between users.

But sadly friendlist stops working when I create a party (a photon room) because User gets disconnected from Master Server and FindFriends stops working. 

The issue is: 

I did some research and an old post from 2014 says I need to swap to Photon Chat instead of Photon Realtime to update my friendlist as it doesn't get affected by rooms etc.

> Find Friends does not work in a room. It only works on the Master Server and this is very unlikely to change. We consider more frequent updates to have few benefits but a lot of drawbacks on the server-side.

> If you want to get more info about friends, use Photon Chat.

> It's independent of the server you are on and each user can set a state which friends get "pushed" instead of having to pull it. The friend list has to be set only once and: You can chat with anyone in any room.

Link: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/chat/current/reference/userids-and-friends

But on the documentation page, it says the opposite:

> FindFriends works only when connected to the Master Server, it does not work when the client is joined to a room.

Link: https://doc.photonengine.com/en-US/chat/current/reference/userids-and-friends/

Best Answer

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Laranthir,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Please ignore the last part in chat doc page it's not meant to be there. It's only for Realtime and PUN. Photon Chat does not have MasterServer.

We will fix the doc page.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Laranthir,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Please ignore the last part in chat doc page it's not meant to be there. It's only for Realtime and PUN. Photon Chat does not have MasterServer.

We will fix the doc page.

Sorry for the inconvenience