Using Input System with Fusion

Basically it should be possible to use the Input System from Unity with Fusion without much to worry about but i can't figure out how.

In this example i use the Fusion 102 Approach but want to switch this with the Input System.

In the Fusion 102 BasicSpawner the Input is managed like this:

public void OnInput(NetworkRunner runner, NetworkInput input)
    {
        var data = new NetworkInputData();

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
            Debug.Log("W");
            data.direction += Vector3.forward;

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.S))
            data.direction += Vector3.back;

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.A))
            data.direction += Vector3.left;

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.D))
            data.direction += Vector3.right;

input.Set(data);
    }

In my old project i used the input system like this:

And Added it in the old project to my Player Prefab so i could use it in the script like this:

void OnMove(InputValue value)
    {
        moveVal = value.Get<Vector2>() * moveSpeed; //the moveSpeed as public variable to change the impact of an item.

Debug.Log("move value = " + moveVal);
    }

Just using OnMove, OnShoot, etc etc to geht the Player Moving.

So i assumed i had to get the information out ouf moveVal into OnInput. But i don't know how.

It is important that the movable Object acts correctly in the network.

Answers

• Fusion does not really mind the input system you use. With the new one, yes, you want to register key-presses and use them OnInput() to get them networked. How that's done is up to your project, which we don't know.

• in this case i get a vector 2, everytime the players presses (W,A,S,D)

yes its more of a transfer problem in this case. I know that it is doable but i couldn't find anyone using the input system with Fusion so i used the older system for the time beeing.

its just that can't figure out how to get it basically like this:

public void OnInput(NetworkRunner runner, NetworkInput input)
        {
            var data = new NetworkInputData();

if /* function OnMove gets a Value, take that value "value.Get<Vector2>()" and use it here.

input.Set(data);
        }

Because in the example of the Fusion 102 tutorial i get one value for every key i press while here i trigger the function OnMove when one of the key is pressed and have to get that information correctly connected to OnInput.