500% price increase PUN . . . -__- ! ! ! what . . .

Options
kk99
kk99 ✭✭
without even mentioning anywhere so that nobody can purchase a 100 plan before knowing that, now you pay 95$ for 12 months instead of 60... this price increase is just pure greed.

especially after such year 2020 you must have earned so much money but apparently its not enough...

very disappointed by the 500% and the fact it was nowhere mentioned. very sneaky

Comments

• bertelmonster2k
    Options
    Let me share some background info here.

1/ The 100CCU license supports Indies and Hobbyists. The monthly price is ~8USD and has a great value and will not break the bank.
    2/ This license is not profitable for us.
    3/ We do not change the term for any existing licenses of course. Only new ones. The duration of 5 years was just not viable for us anymore.
  • kk99
    kk99 ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    8 USD is a lot of money for a game that barely breaks the 20 CCU on the weekend. It may be okay for a game that easily reaches the upper end of 100 and stays the whole week above 70.

Your price increase is just outrageous expensive for lesser successful games if you cannot use the same Photon ID for multiple projects, which you are not allowed to do so at the moment.
    I dont know how much money you think indie devs are earning or gold-digging but here some insights.

If your app stays during week under 20 CCU and only exceeds 20 CCU on the weekend you may earn ~50$ per month from this app (ads). And from now on Photon will take about 15% of revenue for a Relay-Server Hosting. Of course you have to spend more money for a normal server for hosting all kind of user data.

And here comes the worst, one day Google, Apple, YouTube changes their Search Algorithm and your game CCU suddenly drops dramatically and from 35 CCU on the weekend it stays under 20 CCU the whole week for many months and now you may not even earn 20$ per month and Photon takes a 50% Revenue share, however you already subscribed for a whole year.

So to be honest, you have no idea about the real world and the real pain that indie devs go through and the new pricing is a literally knock-out.

and by the way if it was not so profitable why have you been offering this for the last 5+ years?

Why have you been honeypotting developers?

You will have definitely one customer less in the future since my new projects will be build without Photon and I migrate my existing ones in the next years. A Relay-Server isn't really Rocket-Science.

At the end, however, there is ONE POSITIVE THING ABOUT ALL THIS.

Thank you for eliminating all possible upcoming competitors. So please increase the prices even further or better, simply remove the 100 CCU.

• Volk
    Volk
    edited July 2022
    Options

By the way, yes, there are a lot of free solutions now. Your prices are not effective for indie devs. It makes me look for other ways (leave Photon) and switch to free options or cheaper ones. I think you can sell 500 CCU for 95 dollars (1 year) and you will make more money.

+Fish-Networking - FREE

• Tobias
    Options

The last response was over a year ago. What happened?

Please, don't look at our page and SDKs and decide which pricing is best for us. Thanks. Citing this table goes to show you don't really know what you are comparing. It was put together based on hear-say without anyone ever looking into the solutions. Example: It's laughable that Quantum has 2 stars for scalability when it powers Stumble Guys with 32 player matches on mobile and live tournaments with 30k players participating.

The 100 CCU subscription is on sale frequently, as low as half the price. We do run servers off that money. We do provide free support where we can. We do work on new stuff all the time. If you don't feel it is for you .. OK.

Sorry to see anyone leaving because of pricing but if there is no benefit for you, yes, please use other solutions! Maybe that step is really good for you. Games have been done with Mirror and others for sure. The whole team wishes you all the best. No hard feelings from our side.

• Volk
    Options

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm just expressing my opinion. I like everything in PUN and support especially. And I understand you. I just suggested softening the pricing policy a little. Because there is a huge competition in the gaming industry, the market is oversaturated. Approximately only 1 out of 10 games can start earning at least something in modern conditions. Good luck to everyone! 😊

• Tobias
    Options

No offense taken. I hope my quite blunt reply wasn't too bad either. I understand your point of view, of course. It's .. tricky. Usually, when you go over 100 CCU, a game could also reach more CCUs. At some point, you should have a healthy player base to earn something and run it. This is of course not easy either.

Just don't forget: For 100 CCUs, you need about 2k DAU and 40k MAU. Not everyone is playing at the same time. This spreads out quite a bit.