Unity ... desperate ... please help ...

Options
PROM
edited November 2010 in DotNet
Hi guys,

Please help me 'cause I'm near a nervous breakdown ... I'm banging my head in the wall with photon for so many hours now that I can't count them any more (10+). I'm just starting with Unity 3d and Photon, I'm a programmer and I am not absolutely new to server administration ... but I can't make it.

So here is my situation. I have a server behind two routers. On both routers I have made port forwarding for both UDP and TCP - ports 843 and port 5055. I have configured UDP to listen to port 5055 in the photon configuration. I can telnet both ports using my domain name. I'm working locally - behind the second router and the demo works perfectly both ways - in my browser and in the unity GUI. BUT no matter what I've tried I didn't manage to get it working outside the local network. Nor behind the 1st router nor from outside.
I played a lot with the IPs in the configuration but the only thing that I managed was to make the demo work in the browser, in the GUI, sometimes both and sometimes not at all. But not a single time outside the network. So my question is - where should I put which IP? I read that I have to overwrite the 0.0.0.0 IPs - but what IP should I put there - I've tried 127.0.0.1, 192.168.3.3 (the server IP in the local network) and the Public IP (Photon doesn't start this way). After that - what IP should I put in the demo? It was by default 127.0.0.1 - I've tried all possibilities but nothing worked.
To be sure that the problem is not with the security policy I even copied it to the server root. Nothing changes of course.

Please give me some ideas - I'm sure it's something really stupid and I'll look like a fool at the end ... but thats life. I'm used to it :)

And thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hey, it looks like we have a really similar problem. I didn't see this before I posted mine just now: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=179

Hopefully between the two of us we'll be able to get to the bottom of this! :)
  • Boris
    Options
    Please read my answer on the other thread, I have pretty much the same setup you have and it works.
  • PROM
    Options
    Hi, thank you for the answer, but this doesn't work for me ... :( I've tried it so many times being sure this is the right way but it doesn't work.
  • Boris
    Options
    Then something is probably wrong with your router. Some need a restart to accept the new settings. You should contact your router manufacturer if everything fails.
  • Boris
    Options
    I keep thinking that your port forwarding config might be not correct.
    I put together a small example below to show how it should work, hope that helps.

Network:
    Internet --> router A --> router B --> Photon Server

router A:
    - External: 24.22.169.50
    - Subnet A: 192.168.0.1

router B:
    - Subnet A: 192.168.0.170
    - Subnet B: 192.168.1.1

photon server:

configuration:
    - router A: forward ports to 192.168.0.170
    - router B: forward ports to 192.168.1.5
    - photon: listen to 0.0.0.0 or 192.168.1.5; open windows firewall for photonsocketserver.exe or for used ports
    - client: connect to 24.22.169.50