Photon for a Realtime Multiplayer Game

TuTTa
edited June 2012 in Flash (deprecated)
Hello everybody,
I would want to ask for some comments regarding the possibility to use Photon to make a Realtime Multiplayer Game with flashplayer. Since I figure out that I can't use UDP I would want to know is someone have some information/bechmarks for the following situation.
  • Realtime Multiplayer Game (like racing or fighting games)
  • Datas exchanged between client and server are the user state representation
  • Datas should be sent at least 10 times per second

Questions:
  • User states may be compressed. Does Photon supports something for data compression?
  • Can TCP support this rate?
  • Did you foresee any problem on using TCP for this kind of communication?
  • Does anybody has some benchmark or performace result?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi TuTTa,

to get directly to your four questions:

>User states may be compressed. Does Photon supports something for data compression?
    There is no out-of-the-box-compression photon is doing. So this is something, which has to be done on your side.

>Can TCP support this rate?
    This depends hardly on the amount of data beeing sent. Making updates 10 times per second should be no problem if you only have a small amount of data.
    As tobi once wrote:
    "Photon is built to send small amounts of data very fast. In this context, anything below 1KB could be considered "small amount". If you send 1.5KB a few times per session, that's fine, too.
    For a game, Photon should be much better suited than WCF Services, so give it a try!
    Photon can handle 1k to 20k users on one machine. It depends on what your game does so that's a very vague number. Usually, network bandwidth is taken up before CPU cycles."

>Did you foresee any problem on using TCP for this kind of communication?
    As far as I understood, this is what photon is supposed to do, so: no problems ;)

>Does anybody has some benchmark or performace result?
    Curently, I have no benchmarks at hand.

hope that helps

Tim