Encryption and Upload app to the app store

Options
Hello,
when i want to upload an app to the app store they ask me if the app uses encryption.

It is a multiplayer game and I use Photon Pun.
Nothing more.

I answer "Yes"?

if I answer "Yes", they tell me:

"Export laws require that products containing encryption must be properly authorized for export. Failure to comply could result in severe penalties."

Thank you so much !!

Best Answer

• Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

No, we didn't look into it. Actually, it is somewhat out of our responsibility to explain Apple's questions and or the regional laws.

Photon offers encryption and will use it for authentication and any other data you enable it for.

So .. the conservative answer would be "yes", I guess.

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @janvigs,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Here is a documentation page about Encryption by default the messages you send (RPCs, RaiseEvent, Serialization, properties, etc.) are not encrypted but you can enable it on demand.
  • janvigs
    Options
    Thank you so much !!

I am a novice. I'm not sure.

Considering that I only use the photon to be able to share a game between two players, I would like to know if I can answer "No" to:

"
    Export Compliance Information: Does your app use encryption? "

-Yes
    -No

(Select Yes even if your app only uses the standard encryption within Apple’s operating system)

(It is your responsibility to comply with export regulations, and you should revisit these questions if your encryption or exemption status changes. If your encryption and exemption eligibility stay the same, specify this in the target properties table in Xcode.)

(App Uses Non-Exempt Encryption : No
    If you are making use of ATS or making a call to HTTPS, you are required to submit a year-end self classification report to the US government. Learn More
    Export laws require that products containing encryption must be properly authorized for export. Failure to comply could result in severe penalties.)
    "
  • Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited January 2021
    Options
    At the moment, we don't really have an answer for this. Might be a case for a lawyer (at least on our end).

We described our encryption here:
    doc.photonengine.com/en-us/pun/current/reference/encryption

Apple's guides on this topic:
    https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/dev88f5c7bf9
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/complying_with_encryption_export_regulations

I'll update this thread, when we know more.
    Sorry.
  • janvigs
    Options
    thanks for replying. i guess someone from the forum has come across the same case. i hope he tells us how he solved it.

thank you so much!
  • AndreWe
    Options
  • Tobias
    Tobias admin
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

No, we didn't look into it. Actually, it is somewhat out of our responsibility to explain Apple's questions and or the regional laws.

Photon offers encryption and will use it for authentication and any other data you enable it for.

So .. the conservative answer would be "yes", I guess.

• AndreWe
    Options

Thank you for the update! :)