Android Volume Controls Broken By Photon Voice

Hi,

I am developing for Oculus Quest and have just updated to Photon Voice 2. If I use a voice recorder with the Photon microphone type, the hardware volume controls do not work.

I can use the Unity microphone type, but I thought this should be reported.

Comments

• Hi @Mandelboxed,

Thank you for choosing Photon and for your report!

What Photon Voice version is this?
    When you use Photon microphone type for Android, what options do you enable from the Recorder?
    You can set those in Recorder Inspector or via Recorder.SetAndroidNativeMicrophoneSettings.
    The ones available (and disabled/off/false by default) are: Acoustic Echo Cancellation, Automatic Gain Control and Noise Suppression.
  • I'm getting the same problem. On Photon mic type it just doesn't work no matter how many times I try.
    If I switch to Unity, it doesn't work on the first run. But if I close the app and try again it works. Might be because the first run I have to accept the mic permissions.
  • michielmichiel
    edited November 2
    I'm running into the same problems. Buttons not responding at all when mic is in 'Photon' mode. When in 'Unity' mode, the buttons only work the second time the app is launched (and microphone permission is granted).
    I'd love to download the previous version of Photon Voice 2 to see if this fixes the problem, but there doesn't seem to be a download archive available.

My settings:
    vr1YXf4.jpg
  • Hi @michiel,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

@ everyone:

This could be by design when using Photon microphone type, as it's a compromise (to be able to achieve audio effects AGC, AEC, etc., the app needs to have control over system volume?) in native Android plugin when using certain Android API values/calls.
    my colleague @vadim will take a look when possible and see if we can avoid this.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!
  • @JohnTube any update on this issue? I thought I fixed this by having the permissions show up before you connect to photon, but now I have another problem. The volume cannot be adjusted any time the game is launched if I DO NOT accept the mic permissions.
  • edited November 25
    @JohnTube any update on this issue? I thought I fixed this by having the permissions show up before you connect to photon, but now I have another problem. The volume cannot be adjusted any time the game is launched if I DO NOT accept the mic permissions.

Seems like I was able to do a band-aid fix by disabling the gameobject with my Photon Speaker component. I'm able to adjust volume with mic permissions off but I'm not able to hear other people talk anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/jYb9V9u
  • Hi all,

I'm forwarding my colleague @vadim's input here:

There are several volume sliders (4) on Android.
    • Media volume: Music, videos, games, other media
    • Call volume: Volume of the other person during a call
    • Ring volume: Phone calls, notifications
    • Alarm volume

Depending on audio session mode, the system chooses automatically which slider to assign to hardware buttons. Read more here.

Photon mic type switches device to voice call mode to be able to use hardware AEC.
    I suspect that in this case volume buttons adjust Call volume.
    This volume does not affect Unity output which is most likely controlled by Media volume.

You could try to switch to the Media volume slider when changing volume.

You could also use Unity microphone type with WebRtcAudioDsp, it has AEC, NoiseSuppression, AGC and even a better VAD.