EU and USW Region Ping no response

Looking for some help with a live WebGL game that is having problems with pinging regions.

Our game pings 4 regions but is currently not getting a response for EU or USW. Players can still manually connect to these regions. This is happening for our current live WebGL build. On debugging in Unity I can see that there is definetely no response from those regions when I reset the region preferences.

We broke through our 1100 CCU cap and have increased it a few hours ago. Is this related? It seems maybe likely.

Comments

• I was testing on PUN: 2.10 Photon Lib: 4.1.2.12 and updated to the latest (Punt: 2.21 Photon lib: 4.1.4.4) and no change. Still failing to receive a response from EU and USW servers.

This is of course on all browsers and in editor.
  • This is the output from the game when the two regions are pinged.

eu[wss://GCAMS058.exitgames.com:19090]: 4000ms
    us[wss://GCASH013.exitgames.com:19090]: 134ms

When I ping these servers outside of the game I also get no response from EU but I do for US.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi @TallJohn,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

What Unity version are you using?
    Since when did you notice this?
    Our game pings 4 regions but is currently not getting a response for EU or USW. Players can still manually connect to these regions. This is happening for our current live WebGL build.
    So no complaints from players? the ping on your machine does not work, can you connect? I want to understand the issue, all clients can connect but ping does not work? do you do manual ping? how? ICMP based you mean or Photon ping?
  • Unity Version: 2019.4.5f1

Our players first reported it yesterday afternoon (20 hours ago). I can see from the dashboard that there is a big dropoff in players from the broken regions at this time.

I thought it was just a bad ping on their end causing it to change. They are manually able to change the region in game so its possible to work around it. But it does mean there are many times less people in that region as most players don't change region. So its still a big issue.

When I said I could ping it outside the game, I was using Network Utility on OSX to ping GCAMS058.exitgames.com and GCASH013.exitgames.com. I could only get a response from GCASH013.exitgames.com. In game it just pings the servers the normal Photon way. No custom code there at all. Just standard PUN. Either way there is no response from the server.

I have not seen any problems connecting to the broken regions when players set it manually in game (using PhotonNetwork.ConnectToRegion(newRegionSelected). Just pinging those regions there is no response.
  • From what I can see now EU is fixed.
    eu[wss://GCAMS058.exitgames.com:19090]: 66ms

but USW is still broken.
    usw[wss://GCSC100.exitgames.com:19090]: 4000ms

Did something happen to fix the problem? Is there something I can do to prevent it happening again?