iOS iPad problem, app not passing the App Store review

I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks now and desperately need some help. First things first, I am using Unity version 2019.3.14f1
Pun 2.17
Photon lib 4.1.3.0
Xcode 11.4.1

Important: My app works completely fine when I test it on my iPhone and iPad mini, both running iOS 13.5. I am testing in the US (in case that matters).
In my first game screen I have a button that needs to be clicked for a user to connect to the photon server (I am not connecting to the server on app start). I connect to the photon server using PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(). I am pretty desperate and running out of ideas on how to go about testing this. Is there anyone out there (who does not live in the States) with an iPad with the latest iOS willing to test my game for me. I would have to assign a role to you in my itunes connect account as the app is not passing the beta review either, so no external testers are allowed.

Or, can I get some photon events displayed on the device as the device tries to connect? That way when the app connect review team rejects my app again and sends a screen shot back, I would be able to see what stage of connection the app is stuck on.

Additional info: I keep Fixed Region, Server and Dev Region fields empty in my project before I build the app.

Comments

• I just realized that Photon does not work in China. What if my app is being reviewed in China? There is no way of me finding that out at the moment if that is true
  • Found the solution in this forum and after emailing Photon team. It's a bug on Apple's end. To circumvent it, change your protocol in server setting from Udp to Tcp
  • Hi there, I'm experiencing the similar issue, happening on ios 14.0.1 wifi they say. Already got rejected 5+ times, I couldn't even figure out where the issue is happening since I'm testing on lower versions (12).

In my case the user would be connected to photon on game start & whenever they hit play button the game will check whether the user is connected/not if not photon will try to connect again & there's where the game stuck seems.

The above solution works? If yes how UDP - TCP affects game !? Would there be any noticeable changes occur?

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hi @Siva,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

This is a known issue with Apple review team's network infrastructure.
    A workaround is to use TCP or offline mode to pass review then switch to whatever you want in a future build or at runtime.
    Read more here.
  • Thank you for the confirmation @JohnTube 👍 will try switching to TCP & push for review tonight! One more question does switching to TCP affects game functionality in anyway?

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more question does switching to TCP affects game functionality in anyway?
    Here (good resource for game networking).
  • Hi @JohnTube we changed our game from UDP to TCP but apple still rejecting us, is there any particular reason for this, or do we have to update photon ?

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Siva,

Not sure what's wrong.
    Actually now I remembered that if you use a recent PUN 2 version (> 2.19) there is automatic protocol fallback so if UDP fails the client will try TCP.
    So there must be something else.

Send an email to developer@photonengine.com with all the details (client SDK and version, AppId, AppVersion, Region, Protocol, rejection motive, etc.)
  • Hi @JohnTube I just updated pun to the latest version, switched to TCP & the game was approved 😀..how do I switch back to udp? By pushing a normal update to appstore? If yes, what about review process, would that be the same & chances are still there that I'd get rejected?