Can`t integrate Photon in Unreal Engine 4.21

pitermyasnikov
edited April 2020 in Native
Follow all the steps but can`t build project.. It seems like something`s not right with a Build.cs file I guess

Is anyone try Photon with a Unreal Engine 4.21 or higher versions?

Comments

• Hi @pitermyasnikov .

The existing guide and demo project at https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/realtime/current/getting-started/unreal-engine work just fine with newer Unreal Engine versions. In fact the demo project already defaults to a newer version that 4.21, so potentially there could be issues caused by downgrading that project to a version as old as 4.21.

"but stuck on editing the Build.cs file"
    What are the exact error messages that you are getting?
  • When I try to compile or launch project it told me that some of module was compiled with another version of engine. Now i mostly sure that it is just me doing something isnt right.

Just to be sure, its the right link?
    https://dashboard.photonengine.com/Download/Photon-Unreal-SDK_DemoParticle-UE4.zip
  • Hi @pitermyasnikov

This is to be expected as as I have mentioned the demo project is on a different version than 4.21 (I have just checked and it is on 4.20 right now, but I have tested it with 4.23 a while ago and it worked fine).
    You can just right-click the *.uproject file and select 'Switch Unreal Engine version...' from the context menu and switch it to 4.21.

PS: Please let's continue this discussion either here or via email, but not on both channels.
  • Sorry for double mail)
    In 4 step in the guide says that for a lib folder i must just copy .a and .lib files, they are in "Photon\Photon-AndroidNDK-Sdk_v4-1-16-0\Chat-cpp\lib\chat-cpp-prebuilt" in downloaded sdk.zip?
  • Hi @pitermyasnikov.

You need to copy the lib files from Common-cpp, Photon-cpp and depending on which Photon product(s) you (intend to) use, also either LoadBalaning-cpp or Chat-cpp or both.
    The location given by you is correct for the Android Chat lib files.
  • So for a lib for Android "Source\Photon\lib\Android" i need copy all files from a :

AndroidDownloadedSDK\Common-cpp\lib\common-cpp-prebuilt\
    AndroidDownloadedSDK\Photon-cpp\lib\photon-cpp-prebuilt\
    AndroidDownloadedSDK\LoadBalancing-cpp\lib\loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt\
    AndroidDownloadedSDK\Chat-cpp\lib\chat-cpp-prebuilt\

write?

If so, is it matter all files will be in 1 folder or i must copying they in separate folders like :
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Common-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Photon-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\LoadBalancing-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Chat-cpp
  • Hi @pitermyasnikov.
    So for a lib for Android "Source\Photon\lib\Android" i need copy all files from a :

AndroidDownloadedSDK\Chat-cpp\lib\chat-cpp-prebuilt\
    For the demo project you need to copy the files that the demo links to from

The demo does not use Chat-cpp, so you don't need any files from
    AndroidDownloadedSDK\Chat-cpp\lib\chat-cpp-prebuilt\ for the demo. You might need them for your own game if you want to use Photon Chat.

You won't necessarily need all files. The demo on Android always links against the debug no-rtti libstdc++ variants of the libraries, hence you don't need the libc++ variants (the ones with a 'libc++' in their file names), the rtti-variants (the ones without the 'no_rtti' in their file names') or the release variants of the libs. However for a quick test with the demo there is really nothing wrong with just copying all the files. You can optimize this to only copy the ones that the project actually needs, in your own project.
    You then might still want to keep both, debug and release configs, around.
    If so, is it matter all files will be in 1 folder or i must copying they in separate folders like :
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Common-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Photon-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\LoadBalancing-cpp
    Source\Photon\lib\Android\Chat-cpp
    Please copy them all to 'Source\Photon\lib\Android'. Copying them into subfolders won't work (except if you would also edit PhotonDemoParticle.Build.cs to instruct the project to look into such subfolders)
  • Thanks for the help!:)