Does the free version lag?

Options
I am working on a turn based board game in cocos2d-x and using the free version of photon. I am experiencing heavy lag in my game most of the time. Joining a room also takes time. Other similar games seems to be working fine, which rules out network issues.

Answers

• Federico123
    Options
    i use photon free and i never seen someone in my game lag or taking too much to load
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @darkknight_mt.

There is no difference between the free version and the paid version except for the maximum concurrent users and the included traffic.

Hence the cause for your lags must be something else, likely directly related to what you are doing (as others are not experiencing such lags).

Are you calling service() frequently enough (multiple times per second)? Have you checked which region you are connecting to? Assuming that you do not self-host, but connect to Photon Cloud, the default region is 'eu', which is hosted in Amsterdam. Depending on where you are located, your ping to other regions might be significantly better.
    How much ms of lag are we talking about?
    What is you Client::getRoundTripTime() value after sending a couple of reliable messages?
    What is your ping to the region that you are connected to, when you ping it from the command line in the OS, using the 'ping' command?