Does the 500 Message Limit apply to the Photon Self-Hosted Server?

Options
Foreword:

Although I am aware that 75% of all PUN users complain about this issue, I will not hold back my questions as they are unique to my application. Thank you for reading this.

Hello.

After managing to fit my game below 500 messages per second with only two players, I have found it nearly impossible to theoretically contain an ideal 10 players on a server with such a small traffic cap. I have come to realize many of my messages are linked to the master client's arena updates, as this game contains many objects and items that players regularly interact with and collect. Even with this being true, other players do generally produce a large sum of messages themselves, sometimes peaking at as much 100 each.

So in summary:

Does the game work with 2 players? Yes.

But will it work with even 3 players? No.

If there is a client related data-sending loop that is causing unnecessary messages and thus giving me the impression that the messages are natural, then I apologize for wasting your time. But if these messages are indeed true to the game's nature, then this is a major -1 on PUN Cloud for me. Although I LOVE Exit Games, and all of their products and brilliant staff that bring them to us, I can't help but wonder;
Is there something I am missing in my netcode, or is PUN Cloud the wrong platform for me?

I have heard fables that there is no message limit on PUN Server, and if this is true, then THAT is the platform I would use on launch, not a shared cloud server with hard limitations. And although I am aware that the 500 message limit is NOT an immediately acting cap, I have been booted from the cloud by message counts reaching ~550 prior to writing this.

So in summary:

If anyone with knowledge on the subject is reading this now, then please. For me and everyone else who encounters message-per-second based issues, settle this once and for all:

Does the Message Limit apply to Self Hosted PUN Servers?

Regards,

DarkJolt Games

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @DarkJoltGames,

The 500 messages per room per second is a soft limit that you are allowed to exceed if your game does not affect other games and if you are willing to pay for the extra traffic overages if any.
    Having 10 actors per room may require some "interest management" or "network culling" based on interest groups to lower messages exchange frequency and reduce traffic.

There are no message limits for the self-hosted Photon Server.
    You should, however, take into consideration that the server has limits and cannot handle an unlimited number of actors or rooms or messages rate.
  • DarkJoltGames
    Options
    Thank you @JohnTube