Maximum number of players in a room

Options
Hello guys
I am starting to develop a game that, in the end, will require hundreds of players roaming the level, doing a quests and fighting each other in 1 on 1 matches.
Is Photon multiplayer good enough for this setting?
Is there a limit to number of players in a room (level)?
Can players pair up and move to another room and then move back to this big level room again?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @denmla1000,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Photon rooms do not support hundreds of players.
    Read "What Is The Maximum Number Of Players Supported By Photon Rooms?".

Do players need to interact with each other in quests?
    Maybe a single quest is limited to a number of people who could participate at the same time.
    This way you can divide players across "quest rooms" and "fight rooms".
    The others not joined to rooms can be inside a lobby, which is optional.
    You could make use of the other features like FindFriends etc.
  • Tnx for answering.
    So the Photon is not suitable platform for massive multiplayer kind of games where you can see/interact with lots of players?
    I would have to separate areas/rooms somehow so that the number will not exceed 20?

Another question:
    What is the best way/structure to create a mechanic that let you list all of the players online who checked the "ready" status and initialize the 1 on 1 game with that player? Do I have a "big" room and then separate one for every game for example?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @denmla1000,

So the Photon is not suitable platform for massive multiplayer kind of games where you can see/interact with lots of players?
    Yes, the Photon Cloud family of products is not really suitable for MMO or MMORPGs. However, you could choose to self-host a custom Photon server application which is a lot of work.
    I would have to separate areas/rooms somehow so that the number will not exceed 20?
    Separate rooms or use "Interest Groups" to efficiently exchange messages without exceed free traffic limits or soft messages limit of 500message/room/second.

What is the best way/structure to create a mechanic that let you list all of the players online who checked the "ready" status and initialize the 1 on 1 game with that player? Do I have a "big" room and then separate one for every game for example?
    Photon Chat could be an option. It can be used for this and not only for text chat.
  • denmla1000
    Options
    Thank you