Websockets vs LiteWebsockets

Options
dreamora
dreamora
edited March 2012 in Photon Server
Hello

I wanted to verify / check a thing: I was under the impression that websockets act as a different connection similar to TCP / UDP
But now I struggled over LiteWebSockets in the src server folder where the peer extends from Photon.Websockets.PeerBase and that kind of forces me to assume that the impression is wrong and that websockets are still a second class citizen.
Is this true or is that just some reminder from the original implementation path?

Comments

• Philip
    Options
    Hi Dreamora,

are you sure you are looking to the latest server sdk? One of the changes we made was to kick LiteWebsockets out.
    Now websockets are integrated in our standard stack. Where the main difference between websockets connections and TCP/UDP beeing the serialization - which is json instead of our binary serialization.

The Namespace Photon.Websockets is a reminiscence which most probably will disappear.

-Philip
  • dreamora
    Options
    I was looking at the RC8 one I downloaded that day, yes.

Thanks for the verification, so it seems to be more of an echo potentially, the reason I was surprised / unsure is that the Websockets configuration block names a PhotonApplication (lite) and funny enough its LiteWebSockets which exists as Photon application, at the same time LoadBalancing does not have a Websocket connection present although I'm willing to be that this is a if not the primary use case for websockets, serious scaleability for web games.
  • Philip
    Options
    > LoadBalancing does not have a Websocket connection present
    We are working on the client sdk to support this. We released before we where ready with the Loadbalancing/Cloud support - under pressure of some of you guys :).
  • dreamora
    Options
    Ah I see :)
    Thanks for letting me know