Cloud and Game Data

Options
[Deleted User]
edited February 2012 in Photon Server
I was reading on the Unity Asset store a comment regarding not being able to save user data when using the cloud service.
I am creating a chat based game, something along the lines of IMVU and I want to make sure Im getting started on the right foot.

Exit Games no longer offers a server hosting service, so if I can't use the cloud I would have to go with the server package and run my own server? The things I would want to keep for the players would be player name, and in the future possible inventory for clothing changes.

I certainly don't want to have to handle my own server on top of having to manage my game.

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Exit Games has never offered a hosting service for Photon aside from the Cloud.
    Before launching the Cloud Photon always meant having to run your own server.

What you are reffering to is Photons predecessor Neutron, which has been a hosted service, but Neutron is no longer offered because of a lack of demand.

On the cloud you currently can't store any custom persistent data. Playerdata will only be kept as long as the palyer is connected and room-data only as long, as the room is existing (meaning, a player is in it).

So the alternatives for you are to either run Photon on your own server or to store this kind od data on the client (you could store it encrypted to prevent cheating).
  • Yes sorry you are correct, I was referring to Neutron as the hosted solution.
    Thank you for the rest of the information its appreciated.