WHY can't entity Events be Reliable?

Options
Stack
Stack
edited May 2019 in Photon Bolt
I came across an issue where events wouldn't fire on all devices when simulating packet loss,
I was very surprised by this, since the whole reason to use an engine such as Bolt is to deal with issues like this.

I've already had to make massive custom scripts to handle other limitations (like, entities disposing if a player disconnects, without a chance to transfer their ownership), so this feels like yet another thing that "should be simple for the engine, but is just not implemented"

And what I mean is, reading the documentation I find that events can be reliable, but entity based ones, simply are not. No explanation is given, why should this be the case? Bolt is clearly capable of reliability of events, since global events are.
https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/bolt/current/community-wiki/bolt-essentials/bolt-events
"Global events can be both Reliable Ordered and Unreliable. Entity events can only be Unreliable."

The other weird part here, is the lack of an 'Unordered Reliable'. I don't actually need the order to remain intact, I just (understandably) want to know that an event I send, is actually received by the other end.

So now I'll be adding yet more custom code, to fire events globally, and then distribute them to their appropriate entity's

Bolt team if you're reading, please fix this up, please add a Reliable mode for Entity Events.

Comments

• Keirron
    Options
    I have had to make my own class as well to get around the non reliable entity events. I dont see why it cant be a choice.