Connection Issues

Options
When connecting to people near me photon works great, but my friend who lives in a different country can't connect. I live in the US east coast and they live in Canada west coast. Anyone have more information on this?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Pluperfect,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Could you elaborate?
    Is your friend connecting to a different Photon region or is he having trouble connecting to Photon Servers at all?
  • Pluperfect
    Options
    Hi!
    Well after looking more into it, we're both connecting to the best region by default.
    I'm I correct to assume that when I create a game in my region (US) and they try to connect to my game using join room in their region (CAE), it will only look for games in their region?
    If so, is there anyway for me to disable that and have them be able to look for games in all regions and connect to games of all regions?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @Pluperfect,

I'm I correct to assume that when I create a game in my region (US) and they try to connect to my game using join room in their region (CAE), it will only look for games in their region?
    Yes, that's a correct assumption.
    If so, is there anyway for me to disable that and have them be able to look for games in all regions and connect to games of all regions?
    What you can do is either:

1. the user can see the current region and allow switching regions manually.
    2. have an external matchmaker that takes into consideration the region and makes the client switch region implicitly/internally/automatically
    3. have a single global static fixed region, set it in PhotonServerSettings's FixedRegion field. keep calling ConnectUsingSettings.
    4. manually connect to a specific region using ConnectToRegionMaster (you will have to set AppId, AppVersion, etc. first)
    5. make use of regions whitelist on the dashboard to limit on the fly the list of possible/available regions returned to the client, you can even limit it to a single one.
  • Pluperfect
    Options
    Thank you for the solutions!
    I think using a global static fixed region would be the best solution for my game.
    You've been a great help sir ;)