Get Room Data without joining

Options
Hello,

When we create a room, the room is closed and not visible until an initial setup has completed. When the initial setup completes the room is opened and set to visible.

However, It seems possible for friends to be able to see the room, even though it is not visible. This is an issue because we have an ingame party, which would follow the party leader. Currently they are following as soon as the room is created, not after the initial setup.

Is it possible to get the room details (if it is open/visible) before attempting to join?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @Milky_Carl,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

However, It seems possible for friends to be able to see the room, even though it is not visible.
    Yes. By design, friends can see any room you're joined to.
    Is it possible to get the room details (if it is open/visible) before attempting to join?
    If the room is visible, you could make use of lobby properties by joining the room's lobby, get rooms list. However, I think you do not need this.

Maybe you need to allow party members to join the room as early as possible (using Expected Users if party members are known to the party leader) but you don't need to reflect that on the UI and instead wait until the initial setup is done to have a "fake join" or a "custom start event".
  • Milky_Carl
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I can not go into too much detail, as to why we need to wait, as it has to do with networking on platforms other than PC.

Vaguely put, If the player can join before the platform room is created they would need to join after the when it is created. And if they fail to create/join the platform room, we have a scenario where they are sort-of in sort-of out the multiplayer game.

Delaying when they can join (to when the platform room is created) would solve a lot of these issues

If you have a private ticketing system I can discuss this more indepth.

Thanks
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Milky_Carl,

Sure, send us all the details to developer@photonengine.com.
  • Milky_Carl
    Options
    Thanks John, My colleague has sent an email :)