New Photon PUN2 update 2.8 doesn't connect to prior version players?

Options
I updated my PUN2 package today from the Unity Asset store and my new build with PUN2 v2.8 doesn't find an open room running the prior version of the PUN2 package.

All I did was "Download", then "Import" the asset from the Editor. After import I run the game (or build/run) and it only connects to games that use this new imported version. The games I built yesterday won't connect with the new build, but they do connect to eachother with the new 2.8 version.

Are there breaking changes in this update, or am I missing something?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Breeman,

This is expected and by design.
    Read here.
  • Breeman
    Options
    @JohnTube Thanks for the info, although I'm surprised that there isn't backwards compatibility.

So if I update PUN2 in my game, I pretty much have to require all players to update the game from their respective store otherwise random matchmaking will have trouble finding players. Does that sound correct?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Breeman,

Read this and this.
  • Breeman
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies @JohnTube much appreciated!

I read those posts and it explains better. Sorry, I'm relatively new to PUN but really liking it so far.

So, is there a way to know when a PUN2 update IS or ISN'T compatible with a prior version?

This option:
    "change PhotonNetwork.versionPUN to match the previous version"

Seems like a possible solution, but would be quite a risky move on a production game. I'm not there yet, but anticipating what may happen in the future. Eventually I will probably stick with a solid PUN2 version and never update, but sometimes that may not be possible (Major PUN improvemetns/crash fixes, etc.).

Thanks again for your help!