cloud is in USA?

Hi I noticing exitgames seems to be German company. Presumably your cloud servers are hosted in USA? Are there going to be any options for choosing geographic areas when enabling an APP ID for photon cloud? thanks, just curious!

Comments

  • Currently all our cloud servers are hosted in the Netherlands, but we plan to arrange them to different regions of the world in the future.
  • mindlube wrote:
    Hi I noticing exitgames seems to be German company. Presumably your cloud servers are hosted in USA?

    How you came up with that presumption is beyond me :lol:
  • MeltdownZA wrote:
    How you came up with that presumption is beyond me :lol:
    Funny that you think it's a presumption? It's a valid assumption.

    * Geographic is relevant when you expect low ping times and few traceroute hops for the majority of your users.

    * Go buy some cloud services from Amazon or Rackspace and check to see if it's hosted in Netherlands. Nope, you will have a region choice, eg. from Amazon:
    Choose a Region for your Domain(s) to optimize for latency, minimize costs, or address regulatory requirements.
    (...) US East (Northern Virginia), US West (Oregon), US West (Northern California), EU (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), and South America (Sao Paulo) Regions.

    * USA always had the most internet users worldwide, now only surpassed by China.

    * 99% of my sales are from USA, Canada, Mexico. European countries barely make the top 10.

    Anyways glad to hear regions will be an option for Photon Cloud when it goes out of beta.
  • Amazon just is no valid point of comparision cause if you didn't care about pings and reachability and throughput, then yes you would go with Amazon, otherwise you won't.

    And for both the reason for US focus is clear:
    1. Business users are located there to a fair degree
    2. The only place its cheaper is asia and there the data security is questionable (no realistic and sane western business would use a cloud service hosted in asia for obvious reasons)
    3. What makes you believe that the big photon users are US based or US only focused to make the USA priority 1? The cloud needs to be focused at the 'average' photon project target, not business only users not creating games etc who would never use photon for their use cases anyway, even less as those businesses will setup their own photon server due to the server side modifications they will have in for granted.


    Naturally if more cloud servers are added, then USA is in the top 3 of needed locations together with korea / taiwan / japan for the asian room (china is out as long as their internet is only an intra net)
    But with only 1 it does not matter where it is and europe is in fact the best place as it has the intercontinentally best latencies. USA sucks for anything but USA, especially asia and ocenia suffer seriously, while europe provides 150-200ms latencies to most places with acceptable international routings.
  • Ah dreamora, as always, so flippant yet logical. I'll buy most of what you said and it was informative.

    But I have a hard time believing that europe has, in general, better international connectivity than many data centers in the US. The US, after all, invented the internet :lol: I know we are headed to be a 3rd world country but we aren't there yet :o
    'average' photon project target
    Granted I should not make assumptions about my game user's demographics vs. typical photon user.
    But since Photon is clearly marketing towards games and even MMOs, i'm sure that skews the demographic AWAY from some business class user you mentioned.

    However I accept your argument that if the cloud is hosted in 1 region only then Europe is a fine choice.
    China is out as long as their internet is only an intra net
    Ha ha- how true. Actually I just remembered there was an interesting article about WoW ranking in the top 10 supercomputers (edit: in china , see The9 ) because of their MMO servers in China.

    Anyways
  • mindlube wrote:
    Ah dreamora, as always, so flippant yet logical. I'll buy most of what you said and it was informative.

    But I have a hard time believing that europe has, in general, better international connectivity than many data centers in the US. The US, after all, invented the internet :lol: I know we are headed to be a 3rd world country but we aren't there yet :o

    Inventing the internet is right, but WWW and the modern internet were not US inventions. But it does not really matter who invented it, what would be important is the 'today state', isn't it? We aren't on 0.01kb/s anymore ;)
    But it does not really matter where the data center is or if it is connected through sealine cables or landline, in the end it depends on which users you want to target and how many you want to target. I'm sure the USA is pretty high up on the cloud expansion strategy and for anyone creating an own large game its a nontopic anyway as you will host your own machines and likely have server side modifications to facilitate your explicit needs.
    mindlube wrote:
    'average' photon project target
    Granted I should not make assumptions about my game user's demographics vs. typical photon user.
    But since Photon is clearly marketing towards games and even MMOs, i'm sure that skews the demographic AWAY from some business class user you mentioned.

    What you say is right for Photon and I fully agree on it but we talk about the Photon Cloud here, thats a whole different thing.
    The cloud is explicitely not targeted at MMOs. Its room logic with no scope handling (SetScope is client side filtering, there is no server side filtering / forwarding logic for events), already realtime action games with more than 4-6 users / room are pretty much impossible with the message limits per room, not considering 'MO' or even MMO.
    And the fact that you can't have custom server logic impacts it further as relying on the master clients for an 'MMO' style game is pretty much impossible, data handling, zone simulation management, login and a plentora of other things would need to end in Photon, not the 'simulation nodes' (-> master client)
  • dreamora wrote:
    The cloud is explicitely not targeted at MMOs.
    Um although I don't disagree with your other good points, I would like to point out @ http://cloud.exitgames.com/
    Exit Games Photon Cloud is the fastest hosted Network Engine to build scalable MMOGs, FPS or any other multiplayer game and application
    Hopefully there are enhancements coming down the pipeline to address the things you pointed out. So far it seems for my dominos game, photon cloud is exactly what I need currently: turn based, max of 4 players/room, cross platform, and easily scalable. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.