MMO Architecture

Options
Kalagaraz
edited January 2012 in Photon Server
Alright, so I've been going through the server code for Photon.MMO and it's starting to make a little sense to me.

What I'm failing to understand is the difference between Operations,Events, and Messages.

I'm not sure which one I use to program my server-client communications for things like Player drops item, Player picks up item, notify player he failed to craft a basic sword and should probably just quit playing the game.

I also need to setup a protocol to transfer map data to players, and I really like this interest area stuff as it's basically how I planned out how to pass out the map to players. The game is about exploration and world manipulation, so I can't just store the map client side. I only give players the section of the map when it is in their area, and they only get updates to the map in those areas. So if player 1 goes around changing all the grass tiles to sand tiles, only players in that area get those updates to map. Other players don't get it (so if they hack their game files, they won't see changes to the world done by players on other side of world unless they acctually visit that area). I'll just need to figure out how to weave this map structure into the interest area system so I don't have to program all that myself.

Not related, but it's a 2D game by the way using the 2D toolkit from asset store with unity.

Thanks,
Kalagaraz

Comments