Connect() to 'ns.exitgames.com' failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection timed out

Options
Hi,

I am trying to get PUN working on my simple project. Here is the details:

Unity 2018.1.1f1
PUN 1.90 (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/photon-unity-networking-free-1786)
Build target Android

I simply create a new project, import the PUN from asset store and enter my app id to setup project. Then on running the basic demo through demo hub, I get this error

"Connect() to 'ns.exitgames.com' failed: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection timed out"

I am not getting any hint where I am doing wrong or missing something. For me, the basic demo should work straight away. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• bakshish27
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I think the issue was with my router settings. I updated the DNS settings of my router and the issue was resolved. Although I accept this solution but I still believe that this should not happen as many players can experience this issue and I can't ask them to check their router settings. So I will keep this for my later research.

Answers

• bakshish27
    Options
    Just found out that it works if testing on mobile data, but does not work if connected to wifi. So to confirm its not an issue related to my Wifi, I tested it on different locations as well but same results whenever on Wifi
  • Markus
    Options
    Which country do you connect from?
    Tried with a different ISP?
  • bakshish27
    Options
    I'm in India right now. Selected region "Asia" and tried 3 different ISPs but same results. And its strange the same project runs well with mobile data
  • bakshish27
    Options
    So I tried with a VPN service and that seems to work. After I connected to VPN, I was able to connect to Photon. So is there a solution I can connect to Photon without using VPN ?
  • Romin
    Options
    try selecting preferred region in photon server settings . i also live in india never had this issue
  • its_me0978
    Options
    the issue could mostly be because the website is either blocked by ur company for advisory purposes or there is an issue with the firewall on ur system.Try disabling it
  • bakshish27
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Okay, I just found out that its related to the latest version of Photon SDK. I tried an older build of my game which was created with version 1.88 of Photon SDK and that works on the same network and same device.

But a new project from scratch is not working on the same network and device.
  • bakshish27
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I think the issue was with my router settings. I updated the DNS settings of my router and the issue was resolved. Although I accept this solution but I still believe that this should not happen as many players can experience this issue and I can't ask them to check their router settings. So I will keep this for my later research.