Help out a noob?

Hi :) I'm Flynn, obviously... I am what you would call a complete noob at networking. What's worse is I am on a deadline of about 1.5 weeks, so... I need to act fast.

I need help, someone dedicated, to help me out step by step with setting up a photon networking server, and a simple Unity networked game. Yes, this is basically one of those "Make me this..." posts. The examples that Photon sends are confusing to me... They seem to use strange wizards, and the networking server seems to be different for each one, I can't actually find the proper server for one of them! As such I've got no idea where to start actually programming my OWN photon server, and hooking it up with Unity. I know nothing about Photon, and only a tad about networking... I need help! Desperately.

Basically, what I need is simple...

I own a windows server 2008 dedicated server... I want to build a simple game. When players open the game, they are given a lobby, or gamelist. Players can start their own room, or join a preexisting one. All players in each respective "room" have a simple box for their character, and a camera following that box. WASD moves the box in a 2D plane. Simple stuff to program. The biggest issue is making it multiplayer.

I will need to know how to set up a Photon server which supports a gamelist, and player joining. Players need to be able to join one of the games, and have the positions of each of their cubes synced with each other.

I would like to know how to do all this from scratch, and preferably without the use of any wizards. If there ARE wizards, I would like to understand what it is the wizard is actually doing...

I hope this request isn't too much. The example I request shouldn't take more than a few hours to make for someone familiar with the Photon engine. Help is DEEPLY appreciated... Thankyou!

Comments

• Hi Flynn,

I've been looking at Photon for quite some time now and just getting back to trying it out again. A few months ago I presented the Viking demo to a group and was able to at least get it going on my own server.

One of the things I am doing is just looking at the samples and attempting to run a simple prefab replacement. For example, for the Viking demo, one thing I am trying out is to just put in my own character, even tho it's just a box.

The information is available but I find it to be scattered amidst hundreds of other posts that may or may not hold the answer. I've got some time during the holidays to soak in Photon and Unity again and reading a lot of docs.

As for multiplayer, I personally don't find the whole process simple. You are dealing with servers, databases, 3d/art, Unity and multi-player concepts. Each of those is a discipline in itself and requires time and correct practice. To me, it's the ultimate wishlist of most game developers I know.