Using Bolt primarily with Events?

Options
Final question for today: It seems that Bolt is primarily designed for a non-code networking synchronization approach. My primary reason for considering, however, is its listen server, which we need for LAN / WIFI sessions; and also the option to have Steamworks support.

So the question is: If I'm used to working with RPCs (old Unity networking, PUN), will I be able to use a similar approach when using entity events? Will those also work well with scene objects (the way scene objects are handled was one thing that made me run from the new Unity Networking)?

Comments

• stanchion
    Options
    RPCs are different to events. With events you send the data you want to whatever connections you want.

Scene objects work in Bolt as well.
  • jashan
    jashan ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, that sounds cool. So to just to be sure: With RPCs, I can send them either to all instances of that object on different clients, or only the server, or specific ones.

With events, if I understand it correctly, I always have to send them to a specific connection, so when I want all clients (or "other players, including the one hosting the server") to receive the event, I'd have to keep track of the relevant players and send them to each one, right?
  • stanchion
    Options
    That's not the case, the overrides for creating events give you many options.
  • jashan
    jashan ✭✭
    Options
    Ok, so generally speaking, events are simply more flexible than RPCs. Is there anything I'm losing by using Events compared to RPCs?