URL and AppVersion

What's the meaning of "URL" when creating my application, and what's the meaning of "AppVersion" in my SDK?

And where's the basic introductory information that's supposed ot explain these Photon concepts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @quackgyver,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

I assume you use Photon Chat from the JavaScript/TypeScript SDK

Where did you find references about "URL"?
    We don't usually use this term or have a "URL" to configure unless maybe you use webhooks, webRPCs or self-host?

And where's the basic introductory information that's supposed ot explain these Photon concepts?
    You're right, sorry about this. We explain those for the other products but not for Photon Chat. In fact, AppId and AppVersion (Virtual Application) are common to all Photon Cloud products. You can find more about them in the Glossary for the time being. We will add them to Photon Chat's intro or "Features Overview" pages.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • @JohnTube When I create my app on photonengine.com it asks me to specify a "URL" and the placeholder reads "http://enter.your-url.here/".

This doesn't give me any information about what "URL" is supposed to mean.

As for AppVersion, I'm using the Construct plugin, and it wants me to specify an AppVersion regardless of whether I'm using the Photon plugin or the PhotonChat plugin. It's set to 1.0 by default.

This doesn't give me much to go on, and the description for this field just read "Application version."

I've read the glossary entry which says that Application Version is the same as Game Version and that Game Version is just a way to avoid conflict, but it doesn't explain what this actually does from a technical standpoint. I still need to know what effect that changing the version will have on my game, as well as which version it's expecting me to set.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I create my app on photonengine.com it asks me to specify a "URL" and the placeholder reads "http://enter.your-url.here/".

This doesn't give me any information about what "URL" is supposed to mean.
    Ah I see. It's the URL of your game/title or company etc. You can leave it empty, it's just for the dashboard and doesn't do anything.

The combination AppId and AppVersion define a Virtual Application on Photon Cloud.
    Only clients connected to the same Virtual Application can communicate with each other.
    Changing AppVersion could lead to user base fragmentation, for instance, if you have a breaking change or clients versions non-compatible with each other.

I can't answer Construct-related questions.
  • Alright, I understand now.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I really appreciate it.