What exactly does the 175$ plan give you?

Options
What are you exactly paying for when you pay 175$ for the unlimited plan and then have to go pay another 80$ for a vps to actually host the onpremise server?

Answers

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Erigatohishima,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

As the pricing page states, you get, for a monthly fee of 175$ per App/Server, no restrictions to the number of players/connections.

Hosting (and other ops/management) costs are not included so you need to pay them separately to your hosting provider.
  • I could understand Players/connection limit on the realtime cloud since photon has to pay for that so its active resource usage but what i don't get is why you need to spend more money based on active players if you are the one that have to be paying for resources and not photon.Is there something else that i might be missing?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hi @Erigatohishima,

That is how self-hosted Photon Server licenses work.
    I believe that if your game is successful enough you can cover that fee easily.
    I don't know about other self-hosted solutions and their pricing model but I think Photon's pricing is affordable and indie friendly.
    You can start with the 20 free CCU or get the one-off 100 CCU.

If you want to discuss this further get in touch via developer@photonengine.com next year as most of the team is off on holidays.
  • i've mainly been in the opensource scene where the server backends ive tried only really required you to pay for the servers hosting cost,ive never had to pay a license fee cause i have more players on a server that im already paying to host,IF paying more gave more functionality than a lower tier plan i could understand that,but this is literally you paying more for a license because photon sees you get +20 players and your OWN servers that your paying for have to handle more data,it just doesn't make any sense to me.Now that i've found this out i don't think i'll be using photon anymore .I do believe that business need to make money to survive,But i don't think people that host onpremise servers should be paying a monthly subscription when they are the ones having to deal with all of the actual resource usage
  • Markus
    Options
    What is missing in your equation is the development cost and support cost we carry to make Photon (and also self-host) a good product - and keep it that way. Giving this away for free (or one-time payment) does not allow for a sustainable business.