Can PUN plan support 50 to 100 players per room?

Hello, I'm making a FPS game on pc, this game requires 50 to 100 players to fight in the same room, I've seen PUN product showcase that the game verdun can support large number of players like:16VS16. But i want more players than verdun, like:25VS25, 50VS50. So can PUN plan support 50 to 100 players per room? If it can do how much is the price? Or may be i need use Photon customize server?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi @kanestudio,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes but it requires a lot of work and the result is not guaranteed.

In theory, rooms may have an unlimited number of players but client specs. and especially server resources and network traffic are the limiting factors.

Verdun is a game made by M2H game studio who founded PUN in collaboration with ExitGames.
    As you can read on this old blog post, they used network culling technique to reduce the number of messages per room per second from 2000 to 1000 and raise the maximum number of players per room from 24 to 32.
    Nowadays, we have a recommended soft limit for the number of messages per room per second set to 500.
    Also, a CCU gets 3GB/month of bandwidth, extra can be paid.
    You can, of course, self-host Photon Servers yourself and pay for server licenses. In this case, you will be able to make changes to the server code.
  • Dochder
    Dochder
    edited June 2018
    Hey Guys, I looked over the culling-method from M2H this morning. I have a new Idea, maybe my opinion isn't that wrong? I am making a real 2D-Top-Down shooter right now and I was overhinking the theory from M2H a bit. Maybe my Idea isn't bad, post your opinions about it:

Since I am making a TopDown 2D Shooter in Unity, I don't really need to be synchronized with that much areas like in M2H. M2H works like this: The Player will in the most cases be in 4 Areas, means when there are players in every of these 4, messages will be sent to them. In a game like M2H this is really needed since it is a 3D-FPS where you look straight over the map. In my case it's different, I will not always need 4 Areas to be synced, and players being in none of my area don't need to be synched at all since I will never see them - only when they enter my zone and in that case my interest group. Wouldn't it be stupid for me to have a big collider around my player which fits my Viewing-Screen and just synchronizes every area around the screen which collides with it ( + a small amount border more then my screen ). It will rarely happen that I cross 4 different Interest-Groups, since my Interest-Group Areas are much bigger then the player's screen. In most cases my player will only be in one area and that for just in one Interest-Group and some more often but shortly in 2 areas, when he goes from area to the other, and this will be in most cases just in a small amount of time.

Isn't this idea bad? The only thing I would have to sync in Interest-Group 0 is when someone is killed for the kill-feed and for picked up items - which is not synced all the time, only over RPC when the item get's picked (deactivated) or put back on the floor (activated). In other cases I even don't need to know the player-positions which are far away - why should I? Since I will never get to see them cuz it's fully topdown.

I'm just having a question which is really relevant for me in this case: What happens when the MSG/second while playing are the most time under the 500 msg/s limit but just in some peek-cases go over the 500 limit? Will I then be forced to pay more for the servers, or is it OK since my game is really played much, having a big player-base but the messages just sometimes exceed the 500 messages-limit. My Game Idea is really good. I think that this way I will be able to let 50 People play against each other.

Greetings