On Windows 2008 via Virtualbox(VM) on CentOS

Hi there. I know I'm pulling a lot of strings here but I still would like to know my best option since otherwise the costs would double up if not triple.

I succesfully installed Photon Server SDK on a windows 2008 server on a CentOS server via gnome-desktop / tigervnc. Also I can connect to the public ip of my CentOS server and throught the VM using the NAT port forwarding of Virtualbox.

The basics work. I can connect to the master server without any hassle. But here a strange thing happens. On the logs, it appears that the game server connects succesfully to the master server and the master server recognizes the connection too. Everything is set up perfectly and Photon is running.

BUT, after running for about 10-15 minutes, I can no longer connect to game server (Hence the "Failed to get server instance" error is thrown in Unity). The logs indicate no connection loss or disconnect. Everything states OK.

When I run the test client on the VM it also fails to create a room too with the same error.

Is there anything I can do to clarify and narrow down the exact error? Can I run anything to check stability? The logs are pretty self explanatory and I can clearly understand nothing gets thrown in errors that's for sure.

Can anybody help me here? Again, as I stated, I know I'm pulling a lot of strings here to make something work in the most unintended way possible :smile:

Also, I believe this post may help some people who deal with the same issue or try something like this.

Comments

• Edit: I succesfully installed Photon Server SDK on a windows 2008 server on a CentOS server via gnome-desktop / tigervnc and VIRTUALBOX
  • hi, @cdhent
    it is difficult to say anything without logs, but if you do not see disconnects then it could be only one reason for this message is overloading of server. i mean cpu/bandwidth.

you should see in logs that game server notified Master about switching to High loaded state

best,
    ilya
  • Question is, why go through all that hassle, instead of just running Windows 2008, if you already have that license?
    That setup is intended for development only? Or also for production?
  • Well, It's for prototyping. For other reasons, I have to have a linux server aside but before making the actual purchase for another server to install Photon upon, I need to prove it works :) Thus the trial.

Also as chvetsov indicated, I do see the switch for high load state almost immediately the game server loads up. I guess it's about the resources but that's not an issue at least not primarily for now.

Thanks for the input.