Regions Whitelist for app in dashboard

It seems that this whitelist is pointless because I set it on the dashboard for my app and use "PhotonNetwork.ConnectToBestCloudServer" and it works, let's say it connected to the "us" server. Now I remove "us" on the whitelist in the dashboard and I still connects to the "us" server in unity... So is it just ignoring the whitelist entirely? Also if I try to use "PhotonNetwork.ConnectToRegion" and connect to a region not in the whitelist and it still connects, not sure what this whitelist is for if it gets ignored completely...

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jonavuka,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Read the docs carefully:

Once you confirm and save, the operation GetRegions will return only the filtered list of regions. Thus clients should select from that list but it's fully possible clients connect to any available region explicitly.

For PUN, it only affects "Best Region" "Hosting" option.
  • It also saves the best server in player prefs and explicitly connects to that server from then on without even consulting the whitelist on the dashboard to see if that server is still valid, shouldn't it check the whitelist first before it uses the server saved in player prefs?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, saving "best region" in player prefs does not make sense anymore.

Check PUN 2 beta, it has the new flow/behaviour I think.
    Otherwise we might update this in the next PUN versions.

@jeanfabre FYI
  • Ok in the meantime if other people run into this issue, just put "PhotonNetwork.OverrideBestCloudServer(CloudRegionCode.none);" in your main network code so that it ignores the saved server in the player prefs since that server may or may not be in the whitelist in the dashboard
  • Hi,

Yes, good point. I am not acquainted with the server side whiteList, but indeed it sounds like a clash of feature. I have raised a ticket internally for this to be looked at properly. I still think the best region being cached in playerPref makes sense, because your whitelist could feature several of the potential servers that are the best for a given player.

I guess maybe your code should reflect your whitelist and take that into account, but indeed maybe we'll introduce a feature that leverage both for you and would make it more consistent.

Bye,

Jean
  • If I can get the dashboard whitelist via a function call from PhotonNetwork that would be awesome that way I can do the check on the client side to see if the save pref server is valid anymore. I know they say there is a function "GetRegion" that does this but I believe that's only for if you host the server right? Correct me if I'm wrong...
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can get the dashboard whitelist via a function call from PhotonNetwork that would be awesome
    That's exactly what GetRegions does. In PUN GetRegions is used internally in the ConnectToBestCloudServer "process" (or when choosing "Best Region" as "Hosting" option).

but I believe that's only for if you host the server right? Correct me if I'm wrong...
    No this is meant for Photon Cloud in fact and not for self-hosted Photon Server. It's just "hidden" in PUN.
  • Ok,

thanks for the clarification, but I think the feature is broken indeed because the playerPref settings has the upper hand, and the whitelist is ignored.

I have raised a ticket internally, as this is needs to be clarified or improved I think.

so indeed, you will need to reset using "PhotonNetwork.OverrideBestCloudServer(CloudRegionCode.none);" for the dashboard whiteList to always used, but that means impacting connection time as it needs to ping each regions everytime.

Bye,

Jean
  • Ok,

This has been address internally, and will be available in the next PUN update. The whiteList is alwasy going to be queried before running ping checks and properly ignore the best region in the player pref if not in the whitelist.

Thanks for spotting this :)

Note: Pun 2 beta already features this behaviour, we back ported it basically.

Bye,

Jean