Server to Client Ping Paket Breakdown

Hi,

I am new, so please forgive me when I am posting in the wrong section.
Currently I am analyzing traffic of a game to get a little known to how Photon works and what things are being sent over the wire.

I downloaded the Server On Premise SDK where I found the Photon.SocketServer library. I did that because I clearly dont understand how the Ping Packet works.

The client sends 5 bytes to server (first byte indicating that its a ping packet (hex value 0xF0), rest four bytes is an integer with TickCount of client.

But the game I am analyzing gets a Ping packet of 9 bytes back. Last 4 bytes of this packet is same like the client sent, but the integer before those last 4 bytes is unknown to me.. So I decided to look into the Photon Server and find the Ping sending...And I found SendPing function but it also does only send 5 packets to client which is what I dont understand..

Here a screenshot of the server ping packet to client.: https://puu.sh/yVv0I/4444bed65d.png

Hope you can help me out.
Thanks

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Yothri,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

This is the right category and you asked some interesting good question!

First I want to invite you to read more about the "Binary Protocol" used by Photon.
    We could discuss further after that.
  • JohnTube said:

Hi @Yothri,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

This is the right category and you asked some interesting good question!

First I want to invite you to read more about the "Binary Protocol" used by Photon.
    We could discuss further after that.

Hi @JohnTube
    I already read that, and I know there is also the size of a ping packet described, but in not a single case the game I am analyzing a packet of only 12 bytes got sent.. Ping packet is 5 bytes from client and 9 bytes from server. I know that the first byte is the indication byte 240 (0xF0). The last 4 bytes are Environment.TickCount in Big Endianess-order.

And that last 4 bytes are also the last 4 bytes of the server packet, but I dont know what the 4 bytes after the (first) indication byte are.

Thanks in advance
    Best Regards
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    @chvetsov
    could you shed some light here?
  • chvetsov
    chvetsov mod
    edited January 2018
    on the way back you server sends his timestamp too. it is done from native part. server timestamp contains time from server start

best,
    ilya
  • @chvetsov and @JohnTube

Allright, thank you very much for enlighten me. That helps me a lot.