How does the Msg/s count scale with multiple players?

Options
Let's say you send an RPC from P1 to all other players.

If only P1 and P2 are in the room, that counts as 1 message.

If there is a P3 too, does it count as:
A. 2 messages (P1 to P2, and P1 to P3).
B. 1 message (RPC from P1, regardless of how many other players it gets sent to.

The reason I'm asking is to be able to extrapolate how many messages there will be with more players, if I can only test with a limited number of people at a time. Any other tips for this are welcomed too.

Comments

• DandS
    Options
    Hi,

I think the good answer is C. P1 to Server , Server to P2, Server to P3. I'm really not sure about this though.

You have some sliders down on this page to simulate the number of messages per seconds depending on the number of players.
    Also on your account in the "Your Applications" page, there is a button "Analyze" that lets you see a profiler with some infos on the actual message count of your app shortly after you run it on the cloud.

Have a good day =D
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi @OanaG,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

I want to rectify something:

Let's say you send an RPC from P1 to all other players.

If only P1 and P2 are in the room, that counts as 1 message.
    As you can read in the "Messages" entry in the glossary, sending an RPC from one player to another counts as 2 messages as follows:
    P1 --(1st msg)--> Server ---(2nd msg)--> P2

So to answer your question:
    A. 3 messages:

P1 --(1st msg)--> Server ---(2nd msg)--> P2
                                          |-----(3rd msg)--> P3

B. as stated in the glossary entry: 1 RPC sent to all other players count as many players inside the room.
  • OanaG
    Options
    Ah, thanks to both of you for the clarification and links! I completely misread that glossary entry initially.

And just to clarify, regarding OnPhotonSerializeView, that is also 1msg to send, and 1msg/other player to receive, right? Or do they also group up server-side (messages from P1 and P2 getting sent as a single message for P3, if possible)? I assume it's the 1st case.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's the first case yes.
    Server does not aggregate or group messages from multiple sources with a single target.
    operation messages count:
    1 operation request from client to server + 1 optional operation response server to client + 1 optional event per target (server to client).
    e.g. RaiseEvent operation with use case= sending custom event to players:
    1 operation request from client to server + 1 event per target (server to client).