BOLT and Unity 2017.1

I have tried to get BOLT 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.5 working with Unity 2017.1 for a few days now, but without success.

Is there a new version of BOLT in the works? Everything works great on Unity 5.6.2.

Comments

• 1.0.0.6 has fixed this
  • Great! I'll give it a try right now! :)
  • StefanEkstam
    edited July 2017
    Well, almost there but not quite. In 1.0.0.6, some Bolt Assets make the Bolt Editor window start spamming error messages to the Console. A combination of KeyNotFoundExceptions and GUI Errors.
  • Yes, I have upgraded from version 1.0.0.0 for every new release up to 1.0.0.5 without problems previously. But ok, I'll give it one more shot.
  • Hmm... I noticed the 1.0.0.6 version got updated today, Sunday, but without getting a new version number. I downloaded and upgraded, and hoped the problem was fixed. The only difference I could find was that there are now *two* KeyNotFoundExceptions for each GUI Error... :(
  • Can you send your project to support@boltengine.com before and after upgrading?
  • What specific files? The full Project is around 22 GB.
  • can you reproduce this with an empty project with just Bolt?
  • I could create a stripped down version of it, removing most of the resources.
  • It should only have the Bolt folder.
  • Ok, so would it be enough if I zipped the bolt folder and sent it to support@boltengine.com?
  • need the project settings folder as well
  • Ok, I have sent them now.
  • Now I saw your question of creating an empty Project. I haven't tried that yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked though. The problem is likely to be connected to my existing Bolt commands and properties.
  • What is the issue with the project you sent? I can compile and have all your states etc.
  • I installed a backup copy of my project and started all over again with the Bolt upgrade. This is what happens:
    - Start Unity 5.6.2f1 and open my Project
    - Upgrade Bolt from version 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.6, making sure not to overwrite bolt.user.dll or project.bytes
    - Exit Unity
    - Restart Unity, run Assets/Bolt/Install and Assets/Bolt/Compile Assembly
    - Select the Event "FlashColorEvent" in the Bolt Assets window; the Bolt Editor window looks just fine
    - Select the Event "HandGrenadeThrowEvent" in the Bolt Assets window; the Bolt Editor window turns blank, and the console window starts listing "KeyNotFoundException" error messages, which never stop
  • I'm not sure what the cause for that error is but you can just expand the property to make it go away. I don't think it related to the upgrade.
  • How do you mean, expand the property? My Bolt Editor window remains blank, so I can't edit my event properties.
  • And the error definitely is not there before the upgrade, but it's there after.
  • And it seems the error has changed slightly with today's update of version 1.0.0.6. Previously the event's name was the only thing missing from the Bolt Editor window, but now the window is completely blank.
  • I just found something interesting: When comparing the Bolt Events between an untouched (and working) 1.0.0.4 and an upgraded (and non-working) 1.0.0.6, it seems that Bolt (without asking) has changed the type of my parameter FlashColor in the FlashColorEvent from "Color" to "Vector".

This might indicate that other parameters have been changed too, causing the Bolt Editor to throw a "KeyNotFoundException". That's my guess anyway.
  • Ok, one final post about this, since the problem has now been solved. :)

I deleted everything in my bolt folder, and reinstalled Bolt from scratch. After this, I copied a backup of the project.bytes file (from my working 1.0.0.4 project) into the bolt folder. After restarting Unity and recompiling Bolt Everything worked fine again.

So whatever the cause of the problem was, performing a clean install of Bolt and restoring the old project.bytes file solved it!