Example for Custom Properties

Hei Guys,

at first, sry for my bad english, it isn't the best, but i hope you will understand my ask.

I have trouble in understanding the Custom Properties. I don't know whether how to set them up correctly or how to use them later.

I read the Forum already and found a entry about this topic but I didn't understand it until now.. Also i wasn't able to found Tutorials about this topic... I have tried to read the PhotonPlayer.cs itself but I wasnt able to learn in this way..maybe I am to silly to understand that lol :dizzy:

My ask to you is to give me an practise example from beginning. How to set Player custom properties like a color and access it on instantiating the player.
Also i have tried to create a Room custom properties with different maxplayer counts but wasn't successfull.

I know this is a big ask, but I hope someone can help me out there? I found some Exampleprojects in the Asset Store but I was not ready to pay 25$, especially I have no money for this ..

Maybe one of you have a great tutorial for this where it is explained how to set up and use them correctly.

Best regards,
cschmid996

Answers

• MOTYSHIZ
    MOTYSHIZ
    edited October 2019
    This example really should be added to the official documentation.

I wouldn't have figured it out nearly as easily without you explaining it like this, so thank you so much!
    Elijah said:

Hello, here is a tiny example of Custom Properties that I use for my player when getting a kill.

int KillScore = (int)PhotonNetwork.player.customProperties["Kills"];
    killScore++;
    Hashtable hash = new Hashtable();
    hash.Add("Kills", killScore);
    PhotonNetwork.player.SetCustomProperties(hash);

Details

First, I made an integer variable that represents the player's kill score (it's automatically 0 if key has never been used before).

int killScore = (int)PhotonNetwork.player.customProperties["Kills"];

The name of the key is within the square brackets(doesn't matter what you name it, as long as you know what it represents).
    Also, I CAST it as an integer variable by putting (int) before PhotonNetwork. If you want to cast as a bool var, you would put (bool) and if you'd want a float, you'd put (float) before PhotonNetwork.

Next I would then increment or add on to the variable by however much I need the integer variable to increase by, for example :

killScore++;
    (or) killScore = killScore + 1;

After we have updated the score by however much we need, we would then save or set that value to our individual photonplayer to be synced all across the room for anyone else to examine. Here's how :

Create a Hashtable variable :

Hashtable hash = new Hashtable();

Then, you would set that Hashtable with the newly updated integer value(our new killScore):

//same "key" from earlier is ("Kills")
    hash.Add("Kills", killScore);

Once that's done, you will save that info to our photon player :

PhotonNetwork.player.SetCustomProperties(hash);

***IMPORTANT TIP***
    For any script that uses the Hashtable variable, You MUST include the following line. Make sure to put it at the top of your script!! (C#)

using Hashtable = ExitGames.Client.Photon.Hashtable;

There we go, now our player's killscore has been updated across the network!
  • Awesome! Thanks Elijah! Making a little game of mine and this helps a lot. Sweet. Merry Christmas!
  • Thanks guys,It was really helpful.Just one more doubt.Are we supposed to make separate hashtables for each player properties.For example,if I had more attributes of players,like score,assists etc,do I have to make more hashtables for them and set them up according to the way you just said?
  • Hei Elijah,
    thank you very much for your awesome answer! Sadly a lot happened since 2017 and I didn't saw your answer earlier. But thank you very much, the guide and explanations are great and very helpfull!

I wish you all the best and happy coding!

Best regards,
    Chris
  • if my experience is valid (i.e. i am not doing something wrong...hehe)... when one sets the custom properties via SetCustomProperties... the change does NOT take effect immediately... so one must wait before trying to get properties via CustomProperties[property_key],, though i have not found any callback like OnCustomePropertiesChanged()...

i also don't know if this delay is only when first adding the property to the CustomProperties...

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Peteroid,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Did you read this?