demo-particle-unity ArgumentNullException only on Parallel Desktop

I installed Photon Server on 3 different systems:
- Window 8.1 - Local IP (127.0.0.1)
- Window Server 2016 - Public IP
- Window 10 - Local LAN IP on Parallel Desktop virtual machine

Using the particle demo for unity, and only when I try to connect to Photon Server on the Virtual Machine, I get this exception in the editor:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer].Add (System.String key, ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:391)
Logic.OnJoinedPlayer (ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer particlePlayer) (at Assets/Scripts/Logic.cs:97)
ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.GameLogic.OnEvent (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData photonEvent) (at Assets/Photon/DemoCode/GameLogic.cs:403)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase.DeserializeMessageAndCallback (System.Byte[] inBuff)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.GameLogic.UpdateLoop () (at Assets/Photon/DemoCode/GameLogic.cs:252)
Logic.UpdateLocal () (at Assets/Scripts/Logic.cs:128)
DemoGUI.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/DemoGUI.cs:109)

In all cases, Photon Server has just been installed and I used Photon Control context menu to choose the IP.
Then started the LoadBalancing app.

The exception comes from the player NickName that is null.
Any clue?

- Unity 5.6.0f3 and Unity 5.4.4p1
- Photon Server SDK v4.0.29.11263
- Unity SDK v4.1.1.7
- No errors or warning in the logs
- No custom configurations

Comments

• what version of PUN are you using of what version of client lib?
    best,
    ilya
  • I wrote it in the previous post: Unity SDK v4.1.1.7
    I'm not using PUN.
    Do you mean something else?
  • no, this is what i ment.

i will redirect you to client lib dev forum.
    they are on holidays today. tomorrow they will answer to you

best,
    ilya
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mcmorry,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Did you modify the particle demo code to make it work with self hosted Photon Server? If so how are you connecting and authenticating?
  • mcmorry
    mcmorry
    edited April 2017
    I only set the IP/Port of the Photon Server in ConnectionDialog.cs to the LAN IP address of the server. eg. 192.168.0.104:5055
    About authenticating, I'm not doing anything else.

As described in my first post, is working fine locally and from a remote EC2 server.
    From my Mac, instead, I can't make it to work using a Window 10 Virtual Machine.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I see. So we have two separate issues or are the two issues related?
    1. The null Nickname
    2. The Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine
    So you are saying you can reproduce the issue only when the Photon Server is running on a virtual machine?
    Weird stuff.
    If you skip the Nickname null check (use UserID maybe instead as a workaround) does everything else work as expected?