Bolt Samples Pack

stanchion
stanchion mod
edited January 2017 in Photon Bolt
What samples would you like to see in a Bolt samples pack? Please Vote Up the ones you like.
Also include whether or not you want it authoritative

Comments

• A sample inventory could be a useful example.
  • I would like to see a first person character controller with simple weapons added.
  • Vehicles with collisions, please :)
  • Area Of Interest - Perhaps something such as how to simulate different levels/areas within one single Scene.
  • McCann
    McCann
    edited January 2017

I would like to see a first person character controller with simple weapons added.

What would be different from the current 3rd person controller in the sample code? (camera position?)
  • I know you want to see just 'one' sample idea...

How about redoing Unity's Tank Multiplayer as PhotonBolt:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46213
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/multiplayer-networked-tanks-demo-q-a.356443/

• or...
    In the existing 3rd person photon bolt example, continue to improve the features: make use of the fact that we have a networked camera. Complete the Bazooka weapon (add homing missile option). Track / use ammo. Pickups (health/ammo). Prevent from shooting through buildings. Teams (saw some code, not sure if done). Disconnect and reconnect to game. Ricochet bullets.
  • or...
    Maybe instead of code, it is a document on "how would you do it and why that way" -- scenarios captured for different types of projects / needs... including: inventory management (initial setting, new player, transfers, etc), large number of items created by users (Rust), Rocket League Ball (lots of discussions on this one earlier), Joining a game mid-way in, recording and playback previous game, hitting another player with force and still leveraging unity physics (saw your brief comment on this one), moving too fast, using server frame for verification / simulation, and many of the other questions that have come up in chat / forum on how to implement things.

They key woud be to give enough detail of the Photon specifics to know what is being discussed and the why behind it (or why we couldn't do it the typical single player game way). This would be a nice google Doc chart.
  • McCann said:

I would like to see a first person character controller with simple weapons added.

What would be different from the current 3rd person controller in the sample code? (camera position?)
    It would be nice to see the 'proper' way simple scripts (match timer, kill camera, spawn menu, granting / revoking weapons, etc.) are handled in a bolt world.
  • Sounds good so far, any asset store package integration examples you'd like to see? SteamVR for example?
  • How about a very basic host migration example for an authoritative server, mostly showing transfer of ownership to new client, and other clients switching the connection over. Obviously state transitions would be highly different between games.
  • A lot of good suggestions. I like the one above and the one about the 3rd person controller.

Would be great to see other assets integrated .. Right now , any really ones like Edy's or like it. anything like that. Any really, can't think off the top of my head which ones... But mainly what people suggested already, I think would be good . and maybe one or two assets.. Just to get people going.

• A nice menu system with Zeus Sessions (server list) and then a Nice loading screen, or basic, from the BoltInit.cs to the main game scene, since right now, even with my generic zeusboltinit, it is hard to tell if my game is still loading, or frozen.. I would also like to see a Time sync example, between Authoritative server and client.
  • GarrettG
    GarrettG
    edited February 2017
    I would love to see a steamvr sample for vive rigs. FinalIK using VRIK with bolt would be great too. I just picked up bolt the other day and am working on building those into bolt for my project. Now I've had to shift gears to learning bolt.

Steamvr/vive would be a great sample due to all the challenges around getting the rigs working well in multiplayer. And there is very little sample material out there on this.

Or also something with VRTK might be interesting.

Another great item would be bolt with photon voice. Photon voice w p2p lan would be great if pv could be enhanced for that. Photon voice with steamvr and vive would be well... what everyone wants.

On the site there was a 'sort of' sample page for doing local lan and broadcast but something more robust for this which detailed and exercised the available api's in that regard would be very nice, and list local games found in the broadcast, etc. for user to select.

Another idea would be extending the tutorials for weapons and swapping to doing projectiles and impacts. Some examples on synchronizing more complex objects, meshs, etc. Though maybe some of that is there already, haven't got through all the material yet.
    Thanks
  • stanchion
    stanchion mod
    edited February 2017
    "Another idea would be extending the tutorials for weapons and swapping to doing projectiles and impacts. Some examples on synchronizing more complex objects, meshs, etc. Though maybe some of that is there already, haven't got through all the material yet."

The tutorials already has switching weapons (rifle and rocket launcher). Not sure what you mean, as well as for "complex objects.
  • Oh sweet, did not open that yet till now, have been just plowing through doing the ones on the web pages and getting up to speed on the docs. I'd deleted the samples folder on the project folder I'd been learning bolt with because it was causing a lot of conflict issues with so many things I was trying to type up.

By complex I guess first thought came to mind was skeletons, like if someone was using a kinect.

• stanchion
    stanchion mod
    edited February 2017
    Here's what I currently have in mind, have a lot more planned but probably not in first release

authoritative space ship with "acceleration" similar to Descent
    resource system (authoritative networked trees, rocks, etc using events and entities, compatible with Map Magic)
    voice chat
    host migration example
    tutorial+ (choose team, rocket damage, vehicles, no shoot through buildings)
    authoritative inventory system
    SteamVR example
  • Wow, these would be awesome. Looking forward to working with them, wish I had them now :)
  • Simple auth platformer with client side prediction is also done

https://trello.com/b/1hELo6C9/bolt-sample-pack
  • Most of what I want in the initial pack is done, new channel made in Slack (#samplepack)

If you want to try it out email your Bolt invoice to support@boltengine.com
  • Thank you very much for doing this.
  • cj31387
    cj31387
    edited July 2017
    stanchion said:

Here's what I currently have in mind, have a lot more planned but probably not in first release

authoritative space ship with "acceleration" similar to Descent
    resource system (authoritative networked trees, rocks, etc using events and entities, compatible with Map Magic)
    voice chat
    host migration example
    tutorial+ (choose team, rocket damage, vehicles, no shoot through buildings)
    authoritative inventory system
    SteamVR example

Authorative Rigidbody 3d Spaceship would be awesome. (or any really well done Authorative Rigidbody tutorial, also authorative rigidbody bullet drop) +100

Resource System would be good too +5

Voice Chat yah that would be great +10.

Authorative inventory +15
  • @cj31387 Some of those are in the current package I'm giving out to anyone who emails us their invoice. The pack will be officially released after the "free" Bolt package is released
  • Anyone interested in a fully auth bare bones survival game sample? It currently has Minecraft/Rust like item system fully network optimized with scoping and seperate entities for items, which is also useful for anticheat like ESP. In addition it has many of the other mechanics you'd expect in a survival game like death, surrendering, handcuffing, downed mode, etc.
  • How about a lag compensation example?
  • And redoing the unity's tank game in bolt would be awesome!
  • stanchion said:

Anyone interested in a fully auth bare bones survival game sample? It currently has Minecraft/Rust like item system fully network optimized with scoping and seperate entities for items, which is also useful for anticheat like ESP. In addition it has many of the other mechanics you'd expect in a survival game like death, surrendering, handcuffing, downed mode, etc.

Is this available somewhere to look at? I would be interested to see how some of these mechanics are approached for my own project, particularly around scoping.
  • Exsavio said:

stanchion said:

Anyone interested in a fully auth bare bones survival game sample? It currently has Minecraft/Rust like item system fully network optimized with scoping and seperate entities for items, which is also useful for anticheat like ESP. In addition it has many of the other mechanics you'd expect in a survival game like death, surrendering, handcuffing, downed mode, etc.

Is this available somewhere to look at? I would be interested to see how some of these mechanics are approached for my own project, particularly around scoping.
    Message me
  • An Example on Host Migration would be very Helpful!