Android demo building fails

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to build demo_basics example from the Android-NDK SDK. For some reason, I'll get the following errors:
C:\Temp\Photon-AndroidNDK-Sdk_v4-1-3-2\Demos\demo_basics\android>c:\SDK\AndroidSdk\ndk-bundle\ndk-build APP_PLATFORM=android-8 Android NDK: WARNING: APP_PLATFORM android-24 is larger than android:minSdkVersion 8 in ./AndroidManifest.xml [arm64-v8a] Gdbserver : [aarch64-linux-android-4.9] libs/arm64-v8a/gdbserver [arm64-v8a] Gdbsetup : libs/arm64-v8a/gdb.setup [x86_64] Gdbserver : [x86_64-4.9] libs/x86_64/gdbserver [x86_64] Gdbsetup : libs/x86_64/gdb.setup [mips64] Gdbserver : [mips64el-linux-android-4.9] libs/mips64/gdbserver [mips64] Gdbsetup : libs/mips64/gdb.setup [armeabi-v7a] Gdbserver : [arm-linux-androideabi-4.9] libs/armeabi-v7a/gdbserver [armeabi-v7a] Gdbsetup : libs/armeabi-v7a/gdb.setup [armeabi] Gdbserver : [arm-linux-androideabi-4.9] libs/armeabi/gdbserver [armeabi] Gdbsetup : libs/armeabi/gdb.setup [x86] Gdbserver : [x86-4.9] libs/x86/gdbserver [x86] Gdbsetup : libs/x86/gdb.setup [mips] Gdbserver : [mipsel-linux-android-4.9] libs/mips/gdbserver [mips] Gdbsetup : libs/mips/gdb.setup [arm64-v8a] SharedLibrary : libdemobasics.so jni/../../../../LoadBalancing-cpp/lib/loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt/../../../Photon-cpp/lib/photon-cpp-prebuilt/libphoton-cpp-static_debug_android_arm64-v8a.a(PeerBase.o): In function `std::__1::lock_guard::lock_guard(std::__1::mutex&)': D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::lock()' jni/../../../../LoadBalancing-cpp/lib/loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt/../../../Photon-cpp/lib/photon-cpp-prebuilt/libphoton-cpp-static_debug_android_arm64-v8a.a(PeerBase.o): In function `std::__1::lock_guard::~lock_guard()': D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::unlock()' jni/../../../../LoadBalancing-cpp/lib/loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt/../../../Photon-cpp/lib/photon-cpp-prebuilt/libphoton-cpp-static_debug_android_arm64-v8a.a(PeerBase.o): In function `std::__1::lock_guard::lock_guard(std::__1::mutex&)': D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::lock()' jni/../../../../LoadBalancing-cpp/lib/loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt/../../../Photon-cpp/lib/photon-cpp-prebuilt/libphoton-cpp-static_debug_android_arm64-v8a.a(PeerBase.o): In function `std::__1::lock_guard::~lock_guard()': D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::unlock()' jni/../../../../LoadBalancing-cpp/lib/loadbalancing-cpp-prebuilt/../../../Photon-cpp/lib/photon-cpp-prebuilt/libphoton-cpp-static_debug_android_arm64-v8a.a(PeerBase.o): In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0': D:\a\Android\Photon-cpp/jni/../src/Internal/PeerBase.cpp:36: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::~mutex()' D:\a\Android\Photon-cpp/jni/../src/Internal/PeerBase.cpp:36: undefined reference to `std::__1::mutex::~mutex()' collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [obj/local/arm64-v8a/libdemobasics.so] Error 1
Any ideas what might be the problem?

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @Scam.

It seem that when building the demo project the linker can't find definitions for parts of the standard library. Have you changed anything in the project before trying to build? Which NDK version do you use and which NDK toolchain?
  • Scam
    Options
    My NDK is 12.1.2977051 (and it is installed via Android Studio 2.2 Preview 6 and I'm using Windows 10, if that matters).

My ultimate goal is to include Photon to my cmake project (now that Android Studio finally supports it), but now I was just testing how to build the demos. So I downloaded the SDK, extracted it, went to the demo_basics and read from the build.txt how to build the demo. The result can be read above. I haven't changed anything in the project.

Previously I have built all my C++ stuff from the command line via ndk-build and I haven't experienced any problems like this.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    I don't know where you got this long number from, but I was talking about the official NDK release version number: https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads/revision_history.html

You need to use 10d or newer. Older versions may not work properly.
    But as you are using such a recent Android Studio version I doubt that your NDK is outdated.

I have just tested the instructions from the readme file and they work just fine for me. I could not reproduce your errors at all.

I have tested with NDK r10e btw.
  • Scam
    Scam
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The long number comes from Android Studio's SDK Manager application. I assume it's version 12 (since it was downloaded via SDK Manager, and the first number is 12).

Anyway, I tried to build the demo with standalone NDK r11c and r11b and they both produce the same error. Weird.

My only option seems to be a clean install of Android Studio, SDK and NDK? Hopefully it works then.
  • Scam
    Scam
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I managed to get demo to be built with NDK-r10e. I just had to first delete the NDK which was installed via SDK Manager.

However, it seems that Photon cannot be used with NDK-r12b. I tried it again, this time I downloaded stand-alone zip for NDK-r12b and tried to build the demo with it. Same errors are produced.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @Scam.

Thank you for your help. I could now reproduce this by testing with r12b.

Please update to 4.1.3.3. This release is identical to 4.1.3.2 except for being built with r12b instead of r10e.
  • Scam
    Options
    Big thanks for quick response!
  • HI,

I just tried 4.1.3.3 with r12b and android-24 on my project and received something similar to this issue, is there something wrong with my setting?

D:/android-ndk/build//../sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: error: undefined reference to 'std::__ndk1::mutex::lock()'
    D:/android-ndk/build//../sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: error: undefined reference to 'std::__ndk1::mutex::unlock()'
    D:/android-ndk/build//../sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: error: undefined reference to 'std::__ndk1::mutex::lock()'
    D:/android-ndk/build//../sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: error: undefined reference to 'std::__ndk1::mutex::unlock()'
    jni/../src/Internal/PeerBase.cpp:936: error: undefined reference to 'std::__ndk1::mutex::~mutex()'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @charlesso.

Please make sure that you use C++_static as standard lib with 4.1.3.3.

Note: starting with 4.1.4.0 the requirement will change to gnustl_static.
  • Hi,

Any plans on when 4.1.4.0 is coming out?
    We have other 3rd party that require to use gnustl_static. It will be a great help not to use c++ _static. Our current plan is to back to use r10e.

Thanks
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @charlesso.

There is no release date yet, but I am pretty confident it will get released later this month.

Our current plan is to back to use r10e.

Please be aware that you also need to go back to 4.1.3.2 for this to work.
  • framusrock
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We've got the very same issue. We use Cocso2d-x and can not use C++_Static, but updated everything to the new 4.1.3.3 which works fine on iOS but not Android.

Since you said they are identical (just built with different NDK versions), could anybody of you guys provide the 4.1.3.2 version for Android (and maybe also iOS, so I'm using the same everywhere) in the meantime.

I've seen that you sometimes share older version via Dropbox Links.

Unfortunately, There's no "previous version" section in the download base.
  • Hugo_Peters
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm having the exact same issue with UE4. Building against NDK 12b.

I need to have this fixed asap... :s

Edit: I reverted to another version I had lying around, 4.0.4.1, which works perfectly fine with the same NDK and everything... Would still like to use the newest version though!
  • framusrock
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey @Kaiserludi ,

Could you upload 4.1.3.2 (for cocos2d-x and Unreal) for us until this gets fixed with 4.1.4.0?
    This would be awesome.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    4.1.4.0 should be released in the next couple of days.

Until then feel free to use 4.1.3.2 for compatibility to Cocos and Unreal on Android, but keep in mind that you need to use an older NDK for it to work:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4296291/Photon-AndroidNDK-Sdk_v4-1-3-2.zip
  • framusrock
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks, but it doesn't help.

It's still the same error with this version and Android NDK 10e:
    D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: error: undefined reference to 'std::__1::mutex::lock()'
    D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: error: undefined reference to 'std::__1::mutex::unlock()'
    D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:85: error: undefined reference to 'std::__1::mutex::lock()'
    D:/android-ndk/sources/cxx-stl/llvm-libc++/libcxx/include/__mutex_base:90: error: undefined reference to 'std::__1::mutex::unlock()'
  • framusrock
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Kaiserludi What do I need to do to be able to build for Android again?
    The NDK version doesn't matter to use, we can use 10e, 12 or 13.
    But we can't change the C++_static
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @framusrock.

For 4.1.3.2 you would need to use 10d or 10e.
    4.1.3.3 requires r12 or up and the same will be the case for 4.1.4.0.

If you still get these errors with 4.1.3.2, then please make sure that you have those 2 settings in your Application.mk:

APP_STL := gnustl_static
    APP_CPPFLAGS := -std=c++11

• framusrock
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My Android-NDK RELEASE.TXT says this: "r10e (64-bit)"

This is my Application.mk:
    APP_STL := gnustl_static
    APP_ABI := armeabi 

APP_CPPFLAGS := -frtti -DCC_ENABLE_CHIPMUNK_INTEGRATION=1 -std=c++11 -fsigned-char
    APP_LDFLAGS := -latomic

ifeq ($(NDK_DEBUG),1)
      APP_CPPFLAGS += -DCOCOS2D_DEBUG=1
      APP_OPTIM := debug
    else
      APP_CPPFLAGS += -DNDEBUG
      APP_OPTIM := release
    endif
    I deleted the obj, lib and bin folders in my android project folders to ensure a full rebuild

Then I downloaded 4.1.3.2 from your dropbox again (to be sure), deleted the old folders first and then copied in the new ones.

Then I tried building the cocos2d-x project with this command:
    cocos run -p android -m debug --android-studio

And again:
    [armeabi] StaticLibrary  : libbullet.a
    [armeabi] StaticLibrary  : libcpufeatures.a
    [armeabi] StaticLibrary  : libcocos2dandroid.a
    [armeabi] SharedLibrary  : libcocos2dcpp.so
    jni/../src/Internal/PeerBase.cpp:936: error: undefined reference to 'std::__1::mutex::~mutex()'
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [obj/local/armeabi/libcocos2dcpp.so] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory `/Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/app'
    Error running command, return code: 2.
    Here's the first few line of my build log. It seems like it's using Toolchain 4.9, maybe it should be 4.8?
    Or maybe you find something else here.
    Building mode: debug
    Using Android Studio project : /Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio
    Android platform not specified, searching a default one...
    running: '/Users/Max/Library/Android/sdk/tools/android update project -t android-10 -p /Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/app'

Updated project.properties
    Updated local.properties
    Updated file /Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/app/proguard-project.txt
    Building native...
    NDK build mode: debug
    NDK_TOOLCHAIN_VERSION: 4.9
    running: '/Users/Max/Library/Android/android-ndk/ndk-build -C /Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/app -j8 NDK_MODULE_PATH=/Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/../cocos2d:/Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/../cocos2d/cocos:/Users/Max/Documents/XcodeWorkspace/TowerDuelWorkspace/TowerDuel/proj.android-studio/../cocos2d/external NDK_TOOLCHAIN_VERSION=4.9 NDK_DEBUG=1'

• Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @framusrock.

Sorry, but I have just realized that I somehow mixed up at which version we have changed that setting with at which version we have changed the supported NDK version.

Please use https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4296291/Photon-AndroidNDK-Sdk_v4-1-3-0.zip instead.
    Still r10e should be used.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • framusrock
    Options
    Hi @Kaiserludi

THANK YOU. That was a nightmare.
    Could you also provide us with the iOS version of 4.1.3.0?
    Just to be sure they are 100% compatible.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    Hi @Scam, @charlesso, @Hugo_Peters and @framusrock.

We have just released 4.1.3.4 in our download area, which has been built against NDK r12b and GNU STL.