5000CCU

Options
mad_sir1
mad_sir1 ✭✭
edited June 2013 in Photon Server
HI ,first i should thanks the exitgame website, and the tenicial ,they help me a lot ! recently I have project ,and the boss just provide three physical machine computer for the project ,and our company chose the photon for the net engine,but boss need that the photon framework can provide 5000ccu ,so I want to use the loadbalancing to my project , one computer for the masterserver ,one for the chat server ,and the other one computer is fot the gameserver(includes the all players in it ) ,I don't know whehter I can do like this, it means the gameserver should provide 5000 ccu ,at the same time ,I think it is impossible ,maybe one computer can provide 1000ccu or more,if not ,what should I do if I use the photon to finish my project!

Comments

• Kaiserludi
    Kaiserludi admin
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If that machine provides enough resources, you don't run too expensive server side game logic on it and put some effort in optimizing your networking code, then it could be possible to have 5.000 CCU on that game server. On our public cloud a typical game server can handle 2.000 CCU, but as the cloud-customers pay based on the CCU and not directly for the used hardware I doubt that they invest many development-hours into optimizing their code to run as many CCU as possible on a limited amount of hardware, so you for sure could beat that with enough effort.

However I think that it is a waste of resources to have a dedicated machine just for the master, 1 for the chat server and only one actual game server.
    One Photon master server usually can handle dozens of game servers and tens of thousands of overall CCU, as only a low percentage of these CCU will ever be on the master at the same time, while by far the most will be on the game servers, so a lot of the masters resources would just idle all the time. Its similar for the chat-server: Your players won't play your game just to only chat 90% of the time, so I guess that that one also would still have quite a lot of resources left when the game server already is at its limits.
    With this setup you wouldn't make use of the LoadBalancing capabilities anyway. With just one game- and one chat-server just connecting to two Lite instances would be fine, too.

In my eyes a better approach would be to run 3 game server instances: one on the dedicated GS machine, one on the same machine as the chat server and one on the same as the master. That way you won't waste your resources and should easily be able to handle twice the amount of CCU than with only the dedicated GS.

PS: We have achieved values up to 12.000CCU on a single quadcore machine in test scenarios, so 5.000 CCU on one machine in general is possible, but those 12.000CCU have been achieved with just 4 events/s per player, 2 players per room. With higher values for these variables the max CCU of course will get lower.
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    thanks Kaiserludi for your reply, I have read that what you said ,my Engilsh is not good ,I don't know whether I have understand your meaning, as you say ,I just need two physical machine for the project, one on the dedicated gameserver ,and the second computer can hold the chat server and the master server ,but I have something to say , my project is a MMORPG game ,I plan to have 25 rooms ,and every room is a MMO Wold, one room can hold about 250ccu,so in the gameserver it may have many events and the operations ,I don't know whether the Game server machine can hold it , you say just connect to two lite instances can solve it ,but I am very worry about that it can't do that for my project just for 25 rooms ,(one room is a one MMOWorld and can hold 200CCU)??
  • chvetsov
    Options
    well, do not worry. Go ahead. Photon can handle 5000 CCU, but it depends also on your logic.
    You can take any network engine and can write such code, that it will not able to work.
    So, do not worry and go ahead, face the problems and solve them all.
  • Tobias
    Options
    We don't know how extensive your game logic on the server is per room, so it's hard to guess things. Actually, our advice is to test early enough.
    If you have 3 decent machines with proper bandwidth, you should be able to get 5000 ccu distributed across those. Again: Depending on the activity of the players and the work you do per room server-side.

Our default Rooms are not built to hold 200 active players. Each update is sent to all players in the room. Traffic multiplies quickly and clients have limitations of incoming messages they can handle. Consider bandwidth, processing power and even how much you actually can get on screen before overloading the GPU.

You can add interest management in rooms to limit the messages each peer gets. Drop messages from "too far away" players on demand to guarantee you won't overload your game clients.
  • Kaiserludi
    Options
    @mad_sir:
    You have 3 machines. If I were you, I would run 3 gameservers, one on each machine. You can run multiple Photon instances on one machine (use different ports for each instance on the same machine!)
    computer 1: masterserver, gameserver 1
    computer 2: chatserver, gameserver 2
    computer 3: gameserver 3
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    chvetsov wrote:
    well, do not worry. Go ahead. Photon can handle 5000 CCU, but it depends also on your logic.
    You can take any network engine and can write such code, that it will not able to work.
    So, do not worry and go ahead, face the problems and solve them all.
    :P thanks you very much ,as you say I should go ahead ,I think I can do that ,thanks again!
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    Tobias wrote:
    We don't know how extensive your game logic on the server is per room, so it's hard to guess things. Actually, our advice is to test early enough.
    If you have 3 decent machines with proper bandwidth, you should be able to get 5000 ccu distributed across those. Again: Depending on the activity of the players and the work you do per room server-side.

Our default Rooms are not built to hold 200 active players. Each update is sent to all players in the room. Traffic multiplies quickly and clients have limitations of incoming messages they can handle. Consider bandwidth, processing power and even how much you actually can get on screen before overloading the GPU.

You can add interest management in rooms to limit the messages each peer gets. Drop messages from "too far away" players on demand to guarantee you won't overload your game clients.
    thanks tobias,your advices help me a lot , the mmo game should add the interest management , and the events can become lower ,I get it ,thanks , the exitgames technicial is excellent , from your advice, I think i can start my project , of cources ,maybe I will meet many problems ,but just find it and solve them! :D
  • mad_sir1
    Options
    Kaiserludi wrote:
    @mad_sir:
    You have 3 machines. If I were you, I would run 3 gameservers, one on each machine. You can run multiple Photon instances on one machine (use different ports for each instance on the same machine!)
    computer 1: masterserver, gameserver 1
    computer 2: chatserver, gameserver 2
    computer 3: gameserver 3
    Hi Kaiserludi ,thanks ,from your opinion,I think I can start my project ,your advice is good ,as you say , every mechine can hold the gameserver ,I will use the framework in my project ,!at first ,I am worry about that ,but from the opinions you give me ,I think I can I do that ,thank you ! :)