Query related to Rooms List

Options
Hi,
Our game uses SQL lobby. Its in soft launch since more than a year. We now want to put room list feature because players are really getting scattered (because of different modes and maps and we support multiple regions). Since its already a live game and going to be globally released soon, we want to fully understand what we can do with room listing.

We will now remove auto join lobby and use PhotonNetwork.GetCustomRoomList. My question is

1. Is there a way to query rooms with less than N players in them? We can query rooms with skill group or any property we have set but what about players count?
2. Can we specify maximum number of rooms returned from Photon or is there a limit on Photon's side?
3. Does photon auto refreshes returned room list or we need to keep calling PhotonNetwork.GetCustomRoomList in some interval to refresh the list (update players count in currently available rooms, remove filled rooms etc)

Also is this a good way of using rooms list? Thanks in Advance.

Love this community

Comments

• avinash
    Options
    I have the answer for 3rd Question. I have implemented Rooms list using PhotonNetwork.GetCustomRoomList. I poll this list after every 10 seconds. My only question now is, can i limit number of rooms returned?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @avinash,

I apologize about the delay!

Interesting questions.

1. No. You need to do it yourself. Maybe add player count as SQL Lobby Property and increment it using CAS and use it in the filter.
    2. No. This is not possible currently.
    3. You answered this yourself. I don't know if it would be good to add it to PUN (client side).
  • avinash
    avinash
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks @JonTube,

I don't think auto refreshing rooms for SQL lobby makes sense because you will have to store room criteria as well. Also developers might like to play with query string if there are no matching rooms.

Adding limit on maximum number of rooms returned can be a good additions. Because at any point developers will not show list more than 10-20 (or 100).