demo-particle-unity ArgumentNullException only on Parallel Desktop

I installed Photon Server on 3 different systems:
- Window 8.1 - Local IP (
- Window Server 2016 - Public IP
- Window 10 - Local LAN IP on Parallel Desktop virtual machine

Using the particle demo for unity, and only when I try to connect to Photon Server on the Virtual Machine, I get this exception in the editor:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer].Add (System.String key, ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:391)
Logic.OnJoinedPlayer (ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.ParticlePlayer particlePlayer) (at Assets/Scripts/Logic.cs:97)
ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.GameLogic.OnEvent (ExitGames.Client.Photon.EventData photonEvent) (at Assets/Photon/DemoCode/GameLogic.cs:403)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase.DeserializeMessageAndCallback (System.Byte[] inBuff)
ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer.DispatchIncomingCommands ()
ExitGames.Client.DemoParticle.GameLogic.UpdateLoop () (at Assets/Photon/DemoCode/GameLogic.cs:252)
Logic.UpdateLocal () (at Assets/Scripts/Logic.cs:128)
DemoGUI.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/DemoGUI.cs:109)

In all cases, Photon Server has just been installed and I used Photon Control context menu to choose the IP.
Then started the LoadBalancing app.

The exception comes from the player NickName that is null.
Any clue?

- Unity 5.6.0f3 and Unity 5.4.4p1
- Photon Server SDK v4.0.29.11263
- Unity SDK v4.1.1.7
- No errors or warning in the logs
- No custom configurations

• what version of PUN are you using of what version of client lib?
  • I wrote it in the previous post: Unity SDK v4.1.1.7
    I'm not using PUN.
    Do you mean something else?
  • no, this is what i ment.

i will redirect you to client lib dev forum.
    they are on holidays today. tomorrow they will answer to you

• Hi @mcmorry,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Did you modify the particle demo code to make it work with self hosted Photon Server? If so how are you connecting and authenticating?
  • mcmorrymcmorry
    edited April 2017
    I only set the IP/Port of the Photon Server in ConnectionDialog.cs to the LAN IP address of the server. eg.
    About authenticating, I'm not doing anything else.

As described in my first post, is working fine locally and from a remote EC2 server.
    From my Mac, instead, I can't make it to work using a Window 10 Virtual Machine.
  • OK I see. So we have two separate issues or are the two issues related?
    1. The null Nickname
    2. The Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine
    So you are saying you can reproduce the issue only when the Photon Server is running on a virtual machine?
    Weird stuff.
    If you skip the Nickname null check (use UserID maybe instead as a workaround) does everything else work as expected?